• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can I use New Skin Liquid Bandage?

JMC822

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jennifer
I don't want to use New Skin on my birds, obviously, but I am prone to getting cuts on my fingers lately because of being on the receiving end of a bird bite. I usually wear bandaids to help the wounds heal faster, but my issue with bandaids on fingers is that they always don't stay on.

However, if I use New Skin, can I still handle my birds? Obviously, if they don't touch my finger it will not be a problem but suppose I catch my Sun in one of her iffy moods and she bites the finger that has the New Skin on it. Will this be harmful to her?

Chomskypom

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Chom (pronouns they/them)
When I’ve used that stuff in the past it had a very strong smell even after it dried. Has that been your experience?
I’d hesitate to expose birds to it for that reason, setting aside the concern that they’d nibble it off me and potentially swallow a piece.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
I'd stick to regular bandages. That stuff stinks to high heavens, and I remember that it burns pretty bad, too. If you're using the plastic bandages, those things suck. Try the fabric types, or use surgical tape (comes in a roll) - it's pretty sticky, and I've used it plenty of times when the normal bandages didn't want to hold.

Shannan

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Shannan
You could also use a little vet wrap.