• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can i train my budgie?

pennymygir

Meeting neighbors
Is their a way to potty trian my budgie
And she is a female I heard they don't talk much but she's not even 7 months old and she's already copying whistles is their a chance that I can ever teacher her a few words?

TheFatBIRB

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David
Sort of, you can observe when your bird needs to poop. When he is about to, take him to the cage let him poop on the paper then give him a treat. Do this for a while and see if that helps. That's the only way I'm aware of.

pennymygir

Meeting neighbors
Sort of, you can observe when your bird needs to poop. When he is about to, take him to the cage let him poop on the paper then give him a treat. Do this for a while and see if that helps. That's the only way I'm aware of.
Oh OK thank you

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I’ve heard some birds have died due to retaining droppings. I think it was @tka who knew about it. I really don’t think this is a sound plan.

TheFatBIRB

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David
Oh yeah, sorry if it sounded like that. I was just trying to say when the bird poops it can quickly fly over to the cage and poop. I'm not saying you should let your bird hold his poop in. I'm so bad at wording things, ill let the professionals give you some advice. Again sorry:facepalm:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Is their a way to potty trian my budgie
And she is a female I heard they don't talk much but she's not even 7 months old and she's already copying whistles is their a chance that I can ever teacher her a few words?
Potty training can be very damaging to your birds health so is best not practiced. It is honestly just best to set up the environment so that poop is not a problem for you, by giving your bird plenty of appropriate perching places it is happy with where it is comfortable hanging out you can keep your bird in designated places then put either washable or disposable coverings such as paper or scrap material under the perches to protect your things.
Budgie poop is generally fairly firm, dries fast and is so so tiny that I can never personally understand it being a problem for anyone (each to ones own I guess), I just leave it to dry (budgie poop) and it cleanly flicks off or vacuums up off materials and other surfaces too- it is so easily removed that I think cleaning up after them is a much easier and healthier option.

I use towels under perches more often than not as my large bird does poops nearly the size of a budgie lol that will splatter if it hits solid ground so the old towels stop that splatter effect from happening and are really easy to pick up at the end of the day to be washed.

There is no guarantee any parrot of any age will actually mimic human talking- some choose to and others choose not to.

I currently have a male budgie who I brought home at a very very young age and he does not talk even though I am talking to him, other pets and myself all day long lol, he does copy some of my whistles that he hears a lot. I have had budgies in the past that mimicked speech as much as possible but I have had and known more budgies that did not mimic speech.

Reactions: tka

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
It's against avian physiology to fly somewhere to poo.

If you observe birds in the wild or even your own birds, you'll notice that they usually poo then fly. This is because a dropping is excess weight: even fractions of a gram makes a difference when a tiny budgie is trying to get its weight as low as possible.

Everything about flighted birds' physiology is optimised for flight and they carry no excess weight - their bones are hollow with struts to get the best balance between lightness and strength, the shafts of their feathers are hollow, they are rarely fat (unless in captivity). Jettisonning the excess weight before takeoff is part of that optimisation. A dropping is literally waste and it makes no sense to carry it with them.

As such, you're unlikely to teach a bird to fly somewhere else to poo. Attempting to teach a bird to poo on command can lead to the bird holding onto droppings if the command is not given, or suffering prolapse if the command is given when they don't need to go. These may be rare occurrences but in my opinion, the risk isn't worth it.

It's better to modify the environment to make poo less of an issue. Birds are usually fairly predictable about where they defecate, and it's easy enough to put a couple of sheets of newspaper, tile or vinyl flooring under their perches - these can be disposed of or easily cleaned. There are products like Poop-Off which are very effective for dried droppings. I usually have a sheet of toilet roll and wipe up droppings as they happen.

You can often tell when a bird is about to poo because they do a little shuffle: if your bird does that when on you, you can quickly ask them to step up and take them somewhere else. I would avoid a prompt word or giving treats for this. The bird may learn that poo gets a reward and attempt to pass droppings when they don't need to in order to get more treats: this can be harmful to them.