• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can I take my lovebird's eggs?

Rosie-bird

Meeting neighbors
Hello~

My one year old lovebird recently laid eggs (but they're not fertile). She is sitting on them (they're on the bottom of the cage) and I don't know what to do. I need to take them out, but I don't know the proper way to do that. Will there be any issues if I take away the eggs? Will it cause her to lay more? I don't want to stress her out by taking them, but I can't keep them in the cage. Does anyone have any experience with this? Thank you!!!

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
I think the best bet with lovebirds is to either replace them with dummy eggs or boil them and place them back when they've cooled. If you just remove them then she could just lay another clutch.
@Zara

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She is sitting on them
Then leave them. Either boil and replace once cool, or if they are for sure infertile, you can leave as they are. If she breaks one, she will know she did it and I´ve noticed my girls don´t tend to replace eggs broken later down the line.

I recommend dummy eggs, even for lone hens, just for convenience and not having to deal with broken eggs, you can just switch as they appear.

Remember to count three weeks since the day she started sitting, and be sure to remove them on time.
Also try to encourage her to fly out for a little while each day, put some irresistable shreddable things out so she has to fly to them to collect the material.
Too much sitting on the eggs isn´t good and can lead to other problems.