• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

can i sprout a cockatiel seed mix?

kade

Moving in
Real Name
Kaden
basically what the title says! my two cockatiels have finally started eating their pellets and i still have a bunch of their seed mix leftover in the freezer. could i sprout this seed mix for them? (it’s higgins sunburst cockatiel mix) or should i not?

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Usually the millet, sunflower and safflower sprout pretty well. Make sure you pull out any fillers like pellets, dried fruits, veggies etc before starting to soak.

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Great that they're eating pellets! But just so you know, cockatiels shouldn't be on an all-pellet diet. @Mizzely can tell you more accurately but Tiel's need to have a good portion of seeds in their diet, along with pellets and veg.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
If they will sprout, I don't see why not :) They absolutely can still eat some dry -usually people recommend equal amounts of pellet to seeds, so if you are feeding 25% pellets, you would do 25% seeds, with the rest veggies. :)

kade

Moving in
Real Name
Kaden
i’m not keeping them on an all pellet diet! i’m going to start incorporating vegetables into their diet and thought that sprouted seeds could be a good start for introducing that change :) and they will absolutely still be getting seeds in their diet! i had no intentions to take away their seeds completely. thank you guys for your advice!!