• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

can i rename a 2 year old

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
can i rename a 2 year old cockatiel. i am getting him from a home who no longer wants him but im to sure about the name mickey!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You would have to see how well he responds to his name. If he knows it´s his name, then not really. You could maybe change it to Nicky at a push.
If he doesn´t respond to it then, try a few names and see which peaks his interest.
The last alternative, for if he does respond to Mickey, would be the route of ¨His name is XYZ but we all call him Mickey¨ So you could talk about him calling him one name but use the name Mickey to interact with him. That´s quite a complex one, and I´m not sure it´s worth it, but it´s an option.

Please be sure you can quarantine a new bird for at least 4 weeks while you get them vet checked etc before bringing then into your home.

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
You would have to see how well he responds to his name. If he knows it´s his name, then not really. You could maybe change it to Nicky at a push.
If he doesn´t respond to it then, try a few names and see which peaks his interest.

Please be sure you can quarantine a new bird for at least 4 weeks while you get them vet checked etc before bringing then into your home.
he was in a flock of 8 cockatiels and 3 budgies , is that a unhealthy bird to bring around my baby budgies?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
is that a unhealthy bird to bring around my baby budgies?
Only a vet can tell you that after testing. In the meantime, this is why the quarantine is important - to keep your budgies safe.

he was in a flock of 8 cockatiels and 3 budgies
In an aviary? If the owner never interacted much with the bird or said his name often, it´s very likely that he doesn´t know it.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
but i cant see the vet
Bringing a new bird into your home will stress them. Especially an avairy bird that is used to a flock setting that now finds itself alone and in a small cage. Illness will often show itself in a stressed bird. Hence, quarantine. If Canada is under a COVID quarantine where you are unable to get vet care then this most assuredly is not the time to be bringing a new bird into your home. You could end up with a terribly sad situation where you now have 3 birds that need vet care.

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda
but i cant see the vet
Honestly, if you can't provide your birds with the proper care and you don't have the ability to take them to the vet, you should not be getting anymore birds. It is irresponsible to put your birds at risk by bringing this new bird in and not getting the proper veterinary care. This new cockatiel could have many health issues and without getting checked by a vet these issues might not be apparent to you, and by the time any health issues were apparent, your budgies would probably already have whatever the cockatiel could have.

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
Honestly, if you can't provide your birds with the proper care and you don't have the ability to take them to the vet, you should not be getting anymore birds. It is irresponsible to put your birds at risk by bringing this new bird in and not getting the proper veterinary care. This new cockatiel could have many health issues and without getting checked by a vet these issues might not be apparent to you, and by the time any health issues were apparent, your budgies would probably already have whatever the cockatiel could have.
what sickness could they have that the og owners didnt notice?

JewellBird

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Miranda

what sickness could they have that the og owners didnt notice?
Birds are very good at hiding their sicknesses and without having tests and cultures done by an avian vet it can sometimes be difficult to tell if a bird is sick or has an infection, because birds are prey animals they mask their illness very well. For example when I rescued my two conures they came from a less than ideal living situation and the previous owner told me they were perfectly healthy and had "just seen the vet", which by just looking at them it would have been difficult to tell that they had anything wrong. After taking them to vet and getting multiple tests done, a culture swab and having it sent off to the lab, my vet found out that they both had bacterial infections, and was able to prescribe the antibiotics needed to clear it up before it got too bad. If I would not have taken them to the vet and had a thorough exam and that culture done I may not have noticed the signs of illness until they were much sicker. I cannot stress the importance of proper avian veterinary care and quarantining new birds enough.

taxidermynerd

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
If you can't care for a bird, don't get one. Quarantine is not optional, it is required. Vet care is not optional, it is required. If you can't provide that bare minimum, you should make sure your birds live in a home that can.

birdy.929

Walking the driveway
quarantine is crucial, especially with a bird that was previously housed with others. birds can carry diseases without showing any symptoms, but but still pass it on to other birds. it is so dangerous to not quarantine your birds for at least 4 weeks.

alyssanor

Walking the driveway
Real Name
alyssa
If you can't care for a bird, don't get one. Quarantine is not optional, it is required. Vet care is not optional, it is required. If you can't provide that bare minimum, you should make sure your birds live in a home that can.
quarantine is crucial, especially with a bird that was previously housed with others. birds can carry diseases without showing any symptoms, but but still pass it on to other birds. it is so dangerous to not quarantine your birds for at least 4 weeks.
this is not possible , i am getiing my birds rom the same place i got the budgies , i just brought home the 2 cockatiels and i do not see a reason to quarantine them if they are coming from the same houe hold just at different times

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The place your budgies came from might have added birds from elsewhere after your budgies left. Or the birds might have gotten crowded or not had someone keep on top of their chores. Or maybe they were accidentally exposed via droppings to wild birds & picked up something. There are endless possibilities about where disease could come from. Just like with COVID, quarantine really helps.

Please consider other options, like the animal therapy groups I mentioned.

Ember-Tiel

Jogging around the block
If you care about your birds then do what's best for them. It would be heartbreaking if you were to see your birds get sick from something that could have easily been avoided. Even if there isn't always a chance of a bird having a virus you wouldn't know otherwise. Don't ever risk your birds health. It's unnecessary.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Hey. What's wrong with Mickey?? (My hubby's name :laugh: )

I actually have a Mickey bird as well, so she is now Mickeybird.

Anyway - to change a name. I was told never to change their names, I didn't like Ernie's name. So I kept his name, then later someone from the rescue I adopted him from told me he'd had another name and THEY changed it. Go figure.

Now if I want to change a name, first I make sure they don't answer to their name. If not, or if maybe - I call them by both names together and eventually drop the old one off.