• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures Can i house a pair of pigeons in this cage?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Are those dimensions in inches or centimetres?

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Are those dimensions in inches or centimetres?
I believe that they are speaking about centimeters as they said that the bar spacing is 1.5cm.

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
If I'm interpreting those dimensions correctly, and they apply to the internal space, rather than its exterior dimensions, that cage is in the ballpark of minimum recommendations.

The Association of Avian Veterinarians...

A minimum recommended cage size for a single dove is 3’ wide by 2’ tall by 2’ deep but the largest enclosure you can afford and fit in your environment is preferred; multiple pigeons will need an even larger cage.

... while pigeonrescue.org says...

We recommend a minimum cage size of 42″ wide, 27″ deep, 30″ high for one or two (mated) pigeons and 32″ wide, 32″ high and 21″ deep for one or two doves.

I always encourage people to think about what activities the cage is expected to support, and for how many hours per day, rather than simple dimensions. A sleep cage can be smaller than one that needs lots of enrichment and room for flight during waking hours, for example.

In summary, I'd go bigger if the birds will spend much time in it.

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Many people use XXL dog crates for a single pigeon. I have a friend with 2 pigeons and she built a cage out of those wire shelving DIY units. Tell me if you want a link.

BlueKiwis

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jasmine
Many people use XXL dog crates for a single pigeon. I have a friend with 2 pigeons and she built a cage out of those wire shelving DIY units. Tell me if you want a link.
Sorry for the late reply, i wasn’t getting notified for some reason. Yes i would like the link.
If I'm interpreting those dimensions correctly, and they apply to the internal space, rather than its exterior dimensions, that cage is in the ballpark of minimum recommendations.

The Association of Avian Veterinarians...

A minimum recommended cage size for a single dove is 3’ wide by 2’ tall by 2’ deep but the largest enclosure you can afford and fit in your environment is preferred; multiple pigeons will need an even larger cage.

... while pigeonrescue.org says...

We recommend a minimum cage size of 42″ wide, 27″ deep, 30″ high for one or two (mated) pigeons and 32″ wide, 32″ high and 21″ deep for one or two doves.

I always encourage people to think about what activities the cage is expected to support, and for how many hours per day, rather than simple dimensions. A sleep cage can be smaller than one that needs lots of enrichment and room for flight during waking hours, for example.

In summary, I'd go bigger if the birds will spend much time in it.
They’d probably be in my room (if hookbills and softbills can coexist in the same room?) so they’d be out quit often, unless i’m away (which isn’t very often). I’d also have an aviary to put them in if the weather permits.

Sodapop&Co.

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
Sorry for the late reply, i wasn’t getting notified for some reason. Yes i would like the link.

They’d probably be in my room (if hookbills and softbills can coexist in the same room?) so they’d be out quit often, unless i’m away (which isn’t very often). I’d also have an aviary to put them in if the weather permits.
In your room? Pigeons and doves create a lot of dust; dust which is very harmful to our lungs. Please don't keep them in your room, that's a really not good idea. I don't have information links handy just now but google it and search the forums - I recall a couple threads with information.

Reactions: tka

BlueKiwis

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jasmine
In your room? Pigeons and doves create a lot of dust; dust which is very harmful to our lungs. Please don't keep them in your room, that's a really not good idea. I don't have information links handy just now but google it and search the forums - I recall a couple threads with information.
Just a quick question, would an hepa air purifier be effective?

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
Just a quick question, would an hepa air purifier be effective?
Many people keep pigeons in their room as long as there is an air purifier going and a lot of cleaning. Make sure to offer baths often. Heres some links to the shelving units you van build into a cage, just use zipties and a clip to make the door.

C&AHOME Wire Cube Storage, 8-Cube Organizer Metal C Grids Storage, Storage Bins Shelving, Modular Book Shelf, DIY Closet Cabinet Ideal for Living Room, Home, Office 24.8" L x 12.4" W x 48.4" H Black https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07S9V4GF1/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_K755XXB6X3J876KT52HM

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie

Parrots can VERY easily damage a pigeon as their skin is much thinner. Pleass dint have them out at the same time.

BlueKiwis

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jasmine
Parrots can VERY easily damage a pigeon as their skin is much thinner. Pleass dint have them out at the same time.
I wouldn’t risk the safety of either so i definitely won’t.
Heres some links to the shelving units you van build into a cage, just use zipties and a clip to make the door.

C&AHOME Wire Cube Storage, 8-Cube Organizer Metal C Grids Storage, Storage Bins Shelving, Modular Book Shelf, DIY Closet Cabinet Ideal for Living Room, Home, Office 24.8" L x 12.4" W x 48.4" H Black https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07S9V4GF1/ref=cm_sw_r_apan_i_K755XXB6X3J876KT52HM
That’s very nice but the shipping to Australia is $56 :shocked3:!
Many people keep pigeons in their room as long as there is an air purifier going and a lot of cleaning. Make sure to offer baths often.
Is this purifier good? HoMedics Total Clean 5-in-1 Tower Large Air Purifier

Miss Annamarie

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Annamarie
I wouldn’t risk the safety of either so i definitely won’t.

That’s very nice but the shipping to Australia is $56 :shocked3:!

Is this purifier good? HoMedics Total Clean 5-in-1 Tower Large Air Purifier
It seems good from what I can tell. I cant tell if its an ionizer or not, if it is, its a no go. Im sure you can find the same wire shelving online somewhere, just look up wire shelving DIY.

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole

BlueKiwis

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jasmine
The website isn't showing many details when I try to open, but make sure any purifier you purchase does not have UV-C lights as part of the filtration system. It produces ozone as a byproduct which is harmful to lungs.

Or purchase one that at least you're able to turn off the light filtration function.
It does say uv-c technology and theres nothing saying you can turn it off. There was one branded for pets so i’ll check that.
Edit: uv-c technology is the same as uv-c lights right?
Edit edit: the pet one says uv-c tech too

BlueKiwis

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jasmine

Feathery

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Nichole