• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Can i help?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
So I’ve just found this bird in my yard that seems to have a broken leg. It seems more like it’s been twisted at the hip.
Unfortunately this is not the first bird like this I’ve seen in this area. We have a few with leg injuries just like this one that come and feed in our yard every day.
I am concerned about just leaving it on the ground where it was as my dog will surely find it but I am not in a position to pay for an emergency vet visit for this wild bird right now.
It seems so weak and pained at the moment that I’m not even sure it would make a trip in a car. It just sat there while I walked up to it and picked it up, no fluttering or struggling. I have it in a shoe box at the moment however I do not wish to take it into my house and chance passing anything on to Burt or the Budgies nor do I wish to put it where my dog can access it.
Any ideas?

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
So either the site or my phone is glitching badly so please bear with me 0F7515F9-F854-491E-9BCF-0DAC4D2FD797.jpeg

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Oh dear! No longer urgent :(

The poor little thing had what looked like a seizure and is no longer with us. :sorrow:

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I'm so sorry the little one didn't make it. I had something similar happen to me while I was babysitting years ago. We were in their backyard and my dog found a fledgling. Sadly he/she didn't make it either. Sometimes there's not much you can do other then just be there so they don't pass away on their own. Thanks for just being there and caring :bluhug:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Awwww :( Poor little guy. I wonder how he broke his leg like that.

At least you tried to reach out for help :hug9:

Sometimes there's not much you can do other then just be there so they don't pass away on their own
Yes so sadly true :(
The little quaker the other month was hurt and I raced him to the animal hospital within the hour but still passed away a few days later.
Sometimes life is cruel.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
laurie
Oh I'm so sorry thhis little one didn't make it. It so frustrating to see God's little ones hurt and not be able to do anything to help. Fly high little one

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Thank you for trying to help, and I’m glad you were with him at the end.:sorrow:

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
So sorry to hear the little one didn't make it. :(

All times I have taken a wild bird in to a vets office, I was never charged anything... granted, I also left the bird in their care and they passed the bird on to a wildlife rehabber.

Maybe it would be a good idea to search for wildlife rehabbers in your area that you can take birds to?

Sounds like he may have had brain damage... either flew into something or was attacked by something. :(

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
So sorry to hear the little one didn't make it. :(

All times I have taken a wild bird in to a vets office, I was never charged anything... granted, I also left the bird in their care and they passed the bird on to a wildlife rehabber.

Maybe it would be a good idea to search for wildlife rehabbers in your area that you can take birds to?

Sounds like he may have had brain damage... either flew into something or was attacked by something. :(
Unfortunately for the bird it did look like an animal had grabbed it. Most of its tail feathers were missing and what was left was wet and pretty messed up.
I have taken birds similar to this one to the vet and they’ve refused to take them unless I pay, the closest wildlife rehabber I can find is hours away and from the last time I spoke to them they only took certain birds and wildlife for rehabilitation:(

Thank you everyone for your supportive comments and trying to help :)

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
I have taken birds similar to this one to the vet and they’ve refused to take them unless I pay
I have the same situation here. It really sucks because not everyone has the money to pay for wild birds. I have had to foot the bill for the Dove and the quakers surgerys and Xray. I´m hoping I don´t have to be put in that situation again because it´s a financial drain.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
We have way too many injured wildlife incidents for the vets to be charitable like that unfortunately, with certain native animals they will do some basic treatments (sometimes I think they can recover some of their expense depending on species) and send them off to rehab places but for the more common or introduced species they will not. I know when I’ve taken injured native animals or birds that are not in abundance (eg: echidna and micro bats) they have always happily taken the animal off my hands but for cockatoos, corellas, red rumps etc I would have to pay. I think this is how so many people end up not trying to help.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
We have way too many injured wildlife incidents for the vets to be charitable like that unfortunately, with certain native animals they will do some basic treatments (sometimes I think they can recover some of their expense depending on species) and send them off to rehab places but for the more common or introduced species they will not. I know when I’ve taken injured native animals or birds that are not in abundance (eg: echidna and micro bats) they have always happily taken the animal off my hands but for cockatoos, corellas, red rumps etc I would have to pay. I think this is how so many people end up not trying to help.
No surprise when some people have said to send the birds "over here" - meaning out of Australia where they would be more appreciated! Not that that's possible, of course... and we have our own issues of birds being abused and neglected!

Shucks. :( Any chance of reaching out to your community and maybe finding someone more local? That's my only other thought...

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I was actually thinking about that just the other day @Monica.
I am sure there will be someone closer who would be able to help these critters better than I can when I do find them, I know some people have many rehabbed critters living with them even though they are not a registered rehabber. I do know of a few people who do what they can to help any injured or sick animal and they have ended up keeping many of them as pets as they could not fend for themselves out in the wild anymore. These people are not trained or registered but seem to have the healing touch and right heart and mindset.
The poor bird yesterday did not seem to have much of a chance with its erratic breathing and lack of strength and I do believe it would not have made even a short trip by the time I had found it. I actually think I heard it earlier in the day and just thought it was our resident Blue tongue lizard scrounging around in the scrub, about an hour later I noticed the bush moving along with the noises I had heard earlier so investigated to find this poor thing had pushed itself right into the bottom of the bush and was kind of burying its head as close as it could to the ground and trunk of the bush. I have actually found many mummified birds (the same species as the one I had yesterday) in the exact same position under dense bushes while gardening here so I am wondering if this is a natural comfort thing they do when they know they are dying?

I did not know people have said that the birds should be sent over there from Australia, I have never heard of anything like that before :(

Sarahmoluccan

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sarah
I did not know people have said that the birds should be sent over there from Australia, I have never heard of anything like that before :(
I've heard of that when they're thinking of doing a cull of cockatoos for being a pest to farmers I think. :( I hate the idea of a cull but understand it at the same time

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
We have a few with leg injuries just like this one that come and feed in our yard every day
One thing you can do to help is trying to find why they break their legs.
It can be something they get caught to, like a net.
In France you see a lot off doves with broken and even one legged.
They put net on their roofs to kill the doves that get caught and starves to death. :(
When we was in France for some years ago, we helped a lot of doves.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
I've heard of that when they're thinking of doing a cull of cockatoos for being a pest to farmers I think. :( I hate the idea of a cull but understand it at the same time
I honestly hate the idea too but if you are ever able to see the destruction they can cause in less than 30 minutes you would totally understand some peoples mind set in regards to the cockatoo family. At the moment we have a flock of probably over a thousand corellas that are being chased off a local farm daily and when they fly over you literally can not hear yourself talking and it actually turns the sky dark like there is cloud cover. Knowing how bad they dig the ground up means I know for sure there will be at least one (likely many more) farming family who will make no money at all this year for their hard work as their crops will be gone or completely destroyed :( They do cull the corellas around where I live when they are in big enough numbers to do an awful lot of damage :(

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
One thing you can do to help is trying to find why they break their legs.
It can be something they get caught to, like a net.
In France you see a lot off doves with broken and even one legged.
They put net on their roofs to kill the doves that get caught and starves to death. :(
When we was in France for some years ago, we helped a lot of doves.
I am guessing they will be breaking legs in nets put over peoples fruit trees and also a lot of peoples pets dogs and cats will likely be the cause.