• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can I hatch lizard eggs?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How to hatch lizard eggs??

So the lawn mower guys just left and I noticed there was a dying little skink (now dead) at our front door who had laid one egg and had two more along with some intestines busted out of her side- it looks like she may have been squished with the mover or a foot. Is there a way I can safely keep the eggs to hatch? I was about to go put them in a safe sheltered place outside to hope they would be ok but then I wondered if it would be possible for me to watch them instead of just putting them outside and hoping for the best. I have no idea what conditions I need to keep them in to ensure they will hatch if they are fertile and I am more than happy to leave them to nature but my curiosity has got the better of me.

painesgrey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rachel
I'd suggest contacting a local pet store that has a good herp section. Many of the pet stores I've worked in/with in the past have had employees that breed/hatch herps or all shapes and sizes and can either take the eggs to hatch, or can better guide you on what you'll need.

I'm not familiar with hatching herp eggs myself, but have monitored pet store ball python eggs in the past. We used small, relatively cheap incubators with vermiculite, which were used more to monitor humidity than provide heat. If you figure out what kind of humidity the eggs need (probably something like 70-80%), you can probably incubate them yourself as long as you're providing a safe, humid, warm (~30C?) environment for them.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
It is probably just better (and easier) if I pop them outside in the garden somewhere nice and safe :(

There are not many pet stores that I am familiar with and the one I was familiar with had to close permanently because of the mandatory time they had to take off for covid lockdown a few months back. Skinks are everywhere around here so I doubt anyone is going to want to make an effort to hatch the eggs, I reckon I see more skinks than I see flies or sparrows!

Monaco

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kelly Hill
I don't know the specifics for humidity and temperature, but I know that you can't turn them. Mark them so you can keep them in the same position.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I don't know the specifics for humidity and temperature, but I know that you can't turn them. Mark them so you can keep them in the same position.
I thankfully did actually know they can not be turned so I really carefully slid them as they were onto a sheet of paper and slid that into a box- we had the lawn guys here and the plumber and I wanted to move them so they did not get stood on.
I think it is best if I go find a nice area similar to the kinds of areas we usually find the hatched egg shells and leave them alone- I do not have enough knowledge about their needs and I know they do well in nature so it is probably best if I place them outside instead of experimenting with a potential life x3.

Boy are there some times that I really wish I already knew all the things I would like to learn. Lol.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My conscience got the better of me... I found them a nice safe warm outside place. I put them in a spot that I regularly see little lizard egg shells. Hopefully they will hatch but I am not sure given that only one of them seemed to have actually been laid and the other two seemed to be partially inside a clear sack of some sort that squished out of the lizard along with some innards.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
You have got the best heart! :hug8:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
. I found them a nice safe warm outside place. I put them in a spot that I regularly see little lizard egg shells.
That is what I would do :) Maybe peek in and check in on them over the next week or so :knockknock:

I hope they make it :fingerscrossed:

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
@Ali is no longer on the avenue.
[/QUOTE]
What? Oh boo........boo.....

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Oh :( That poor little dear. I am so sorry for your loss.

There is a blue tongue skink that nests in my front yard often. There was a new clutch scattering away just a few days ago. She places them under leaf litter, though I am ignorant on the depth or location in relation to the sun. If you do tuck them away in the garden try to prevent them from getting over exposed.

p.s. Skinks
Maybe call this group.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have put them where I have seen many other little shells in the past- I will leave them be and if I notice any changes I will let every one know but given how small they are it will be like finding a needle in a haystack!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh, hope they hatch! Babies, Babies!!!
There should be a heap of them running about already but they are so good at blending in that I hear them and can not see them lol. I will try to get some pics of any teeny ones I see about.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
There should be a heap of them running about already but they are so good at blending in that I hear them and can not see them lol. I will try to get some pics of any teeny ones I see about.
There is something so cute about teeny tiny herps.

Our lizard population has been absurdly high this year. We try to see if we can spot the tiniest ones. I think the smallest one I've seen so far was about 3/4 inch long, or 19.05mm. His head was so small!

riddick07

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Victoria
If you are talking about a blue tongue skink they are live birth not egg layers. The babies pop out ready to take on the world & scatter off pretty quick. She might have an infertile litter in there that popped out the side (look like yellowish eggs). Most other skinks do lay eggs so maybe you will get something come out if it isn’t a BTS you are talking about!