• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can I give sprouted lentils to my parrot

Biz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Poo
Hi
Is it safe to give sprouted lentils to my parrot??
Can this be an everyday addition into my parrots chop?

Romi

Meeting neighbors
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Rosemary
sprouted lentils can be nutrient dense and are good for your parrots! they can be incorporated into your parrots chop in small amounts

Just remember that some lentils may not be suitable to feed to your parrot when sprouted though

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
my birds prefer the Crimson (red) lentils sprouted...I've tried others with no success. Also they don't like lentils any other way either (that I've found). So I always add 1 tablespoon of red lentils to my pre-sprout mix. My birds are not spoiled at all ;)

Jenphilly

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I am a long time sprout advocate. I dug up one of my old posts about sprouting! In case I don't mention, you need to be diligent about rinsing, especially before feeding, I will rinse with water, then dunk in vinegar, then rinse again and feed!

Hands down favorite here are regular lentils you can find in any grocery store, followed by chickpeas/garbanzo beans.

Here is my past ramblings about sprouting!

-------‐------

but honestly some of the best loved sprouts we've done (and both parrots and humans) are regular lentils (not the red ones) and chick peas.

I have been sprouting for years and got some guilt from a bird group about using something so 'simple'... spent maybe $20 or $30 on specialty mixes for feathered feeding sprouting... almost a complete waste of money! Never again.

Lentils are by far the favorite, Victoria and I even grab a handful, rinse them and munch on them!

Garbanzo / chick peas are a close 2nd. Those you need to be more attentive with, they will mold quicker if you do not rinse at least the twice daily. And those are best you see the white tail erupt and up until it's maybe half an inch long, than for whatever reason, when you see the tail longer and get more the green sprout leafy look, they have a more bitter taste (not rotten or spoiled, just yuck taste). Chick peas that are maybe 2 days into sprouting are soooooooooo tasty!

We have sprouted mung beans, not a favorite round here for human or feathers.

Pigeon or black eye peas are okay, not a favorite, but they will get eaten.

We have also sprouted peas, but be sure you get the whole peas - the usual split peas they sell at the store do not sprout (tho a good soaked food choice).

Anyway, my babble point, most of what we sprout is from the grocery store in the dried bean aisle! There are many healthy wonderful options that are literally $1-2 for a pound bag of dried lentils / beans, and they are super healthy. Lentils are absolutely a super healthy option for trying, especially when you are experimenting with new sprouting methods or tools. And they last longer than many others. They stay tasty from the right after soaking to having 2" plus long growth!!

Don't feel you need to spend the crazy $6, 8 and 10 for the 'specialized' sprouting seeds, lentils and beans!

wwolff

Moving in
Yes, sprouted lentils are safe for parrots to eat and can be a healthy addition to their diet. You can certainly add sprouted lentils to your parrot's chop mix, but it's important to remember that variety is key when it comes to parrot nutrition. While lentils are a good source of protein and fiber, they should be offered in combination with other fruits, vegetables, grains, and proteins to ensure your parrot is getting a balanced and varied diet.