• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can I give my green cheek conure plain yogurt as a probiotic?

Lucas2019

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Maria
My bird is taking Bydril and it seems like is a little bit lethargic throughout the day and I heard you supposed to give them a probiotic but I can’t make it to the vet right now.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, plain, unsweetened yogurt that has live cultures will work, but you need to get a probiotic before long. All of the lactose is gone out of yogurt.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Best to get one from the vet or call and ask them to recommend a brand you can pick up from the chemist.
Yoghurt won’t have as much in it and your bird will be having animal fats which is not the best for our birds.
I do let Burt have yoghurt every now and then but it’s not much at all, its a little treat he only gets from time to time.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
@Hankmacaw I am lactose intolerant and I can promise you that not all the lactose is gone from all yoghurt brands.
Greek unsweetened is probably the best I’ve found so far but I actually buy lactose free yoghurt if I want to eat a lot of it as any other sort will make me crook. Burt is allowed more of my lactose free yoghurt than the other brands.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
My bird is taking Bydril and it seems like is a little bit lethargic throughout the day and I heard you supposed to give them a probiotic but I can’t make it to the vet right now.
Call your vet and ask them what they recommend in a probiotic that is compatible or best for your bird with the baytril. If you can't make it to the vet then order it online. If he isn't better 6-7 days after being on the antibiotic then a return visit to the vet is necessary where they should run tests to see what illness he has for treatment of specific bacteria or fungus that was overlooked by his first "visual" visit.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Yes, plain, unsweetened yogurt that has live cultures will work, but you need to get a probiotic before long. All of the lactose is gone out of yogurt.
yes I know I called the vet but she wasn’t there so I am waiting for her response.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Best to get one from the vet or call and ask them to recommend a brand you can pick up from the chemist.
Yoghurt won’t have as much in it and your bird will be having animal fats which is not the best for our birds.
I do let Burt have yoghurt every now and then but it’s not much at all, its a little treat he only gets from time to time.
Yeah I heard is not too good for them but my vet haven’t returned my call. I am going to called them again tomorrow.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Yes but I want to give him some in the meantime until the vet called me back and I wanted to be sure is not bad for them

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
You did a great job with your video capturing his sneeze or cough... how about doing another one but longer so we can see how he is acting in general.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
Call your vet and ask them what they recommend in a probiotic that is compatible or best for your bird with the baytril. If you can't make it to the vet then order it online. If he isn't better 6-7 days after being on the antibiotic then a return visit to the vet is necessary where they should run tests to see what illness he has for treatment of specific bacteria or fungus that was overlooked by his first "visual" visit.

Yes I called them but they haven’t returned my call. I will call again tomorrow and I make another appointment with an avian vet but is until March 9 since they are super booked. So far he is doing a little bit better haven’t sneeze that much and he weights has been the same.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Yes I called them but they haven’t returned my call. I will call again tomorrow and I make another appointment with an avian vet but is until March 9 since they are super booked. So far he is doing a little bit better haven’t sneeze that much and he weights has been the same.
I'm glad you booked an appointment with the Avian vet. You can always call them back and ask to be on a cancellation list in case another client cancels their appointment. It happens and you might be able to get in to see them sooner than March 9th.... it's worth a phone call.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
A small amount of yoghurt will be ok while you wait for the vet to get you some probiotics, as Hankmacaw said, the unsweetened stuff is preferable and there is very very little lactose in yoghurt but it is still there in most brands unless it’s made specially to have no lactose.
Burt loves a bit of Greek yoghurt every now and then.
A bit of yoghurt will be ok but the probiotic from the vets or chemist will be better as there will be more probiotics per serve.

Lucas2019

Real Name
Maria
I'm glad you booked an appointment with the Avian vet. You can always call them back and ask to be on a cancellation list in case another client cancels their appointment. It happens and you might be able to get in to see them sooner than March 9th.... it's worth a phone call.
yes I told them he was sick and currently on antibiotics and if any of their clients cancel to please put me on waiting list so I can be seen before March 9

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How is your bird doing today? Did he enjoy the yoghurt?