• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can I get my petshop budgie to eat fruits? Help.

tiki07

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Andreea
I've had my budgie for a few months now and she has only been eating millet ever since.
I tried giving her fruits and vegetables when I first got her, but she ignored them (I did not try feeding her directly, only leaving them in the cage for her. I boiled carrots, I gave her peeled slices of cucumber, apples, bananas, and other safe aliments for budgies. She ignored them.
Now, we're in a bonding process. If she sees my hand in her cage while holding millet, she isn't scared and she's willing to eat it from of my hand. She won't touch my hand in any way though.
If I bring any fruit (today I tried a small slice of apricot and a small blueberry) she will get REALLY SCARED of it and just try to get away from it.
I also tried placing the apricot on the millet in my hand and she was still scared. When I removed the apricot bit, she was willing to eat again.
I got her from a petshop - so that certainly plays a big role in her diet. Probably millet it's the only things she's ever eaten there and before being there.
Maybe she won't ever eat fruits or vegetables. But I still wanna ask you: Do you think I can ever get her to eat them?
Is there anyone who got a stubborn budgie to eat fruits or vegetables?

Thanks in advance! :budgie2:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Try hanging a broccoli piece from the roof of the cage, mine loves broccoli and so do lots of other budgies- they take time to get used to new things and ffering once or ten times is not enough...... sometimes it can take weeks of hanging the same food before they decide to try it. I had to hang it so it is easy to get at.
Budgies are not usually big on fruit which is a good thing as it is high in sugar. Lots of budgies like things like cos lettuce leaves, broccoli florets, kale leaves, fresh safe grasses, sprouts. All the things I just mentioned are things my budgie loves. Sometimes if he is not interested I will run the veggie under water and peg it from the roof dripping and he loves that. Lots of trial and error with birds and fresh foods.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
This may help :)

Olliebirb

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Julia A
Yes try hanging broccoli and kale! My budgies love the funky looking veggies and really enjoy picking off the little broccoli pieces. Spinach is also a favorite for them too. But make sure you only leave it out for about an hour or so because it (and any fruit/vegetable) can start getting bacteria on it. One of my budgies is scared of anything new and it takes time to introduce these things.

Hermesbird

Real Name
Cat
I chop up kale and broccoli and spinach very small and mix with their breakfast pellets then changes to regular pellets after I see their done eating. Or even do a seed mix as a hand feed treat and mix and maybe s/he will try it. Like they all said it takes time and don’t be sad if you waste a lot trying! They will get it eventually lol

JoJo&Loki

Real Name
Kelly
My budgies like their veggies soaking wet, hanging from the roof of the cage with sprouts sprinkled on them. They probably ignored my efforts for AT LEAST a month :lol: Now they come running to them as I’m still hanging them. Just keep offering them often and trying different ways and hopefully eventually you’ll find the one she takes to! Don’t give up- that’s the most important thing!!;)