• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can I get my cockatiel sick?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chanticleer

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lindsey
I have a chest cold and congestion and have been coughing, sniffing, and sneezing quite a lot the past few days. My cockatiel is just 3 months old, and as I have had 2 parakeets in the past that died days after bringing them home (I believe my mistake there was buying them from Petsmart/Petco), I am a huge worrywort when it comes to my baby.

Should I avoid handling him unless necessary until I'm better? Or is there no risk? I know diseases are usually species specific, but I'm just so paranoid! :p He seems perfectly healthy. He's singing up a storm right now.

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
First of all, so sorry you are sick. A great pita that is. I there are only extraordinary cases where bugs are passes between the human and avian worlds. I would try not to worry.:hug8:

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
The only disease I know that can be passed between humans and birds are certain types of influenza. That being said, we've had colds travel throughout our home, and Buddy has been fine.

Sorry you are so sick, but unless the vet says hands off, I'd just treat your fid like another member of your household. Wash your hands, and no coughing on the bird!

TwoTinyTrees

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Very informative! I am just getting over a cold and Ninny has been fine as my AA friends assured me it would be ok :)

Chanticleer

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lindsey
Thank, guys :) I am finally starting to get over it (mainly just sinus issues now), and he is fine!

Also, he is officially 3 months old today. He's growing so fast! :heart:

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
When I am sick I do try to wash my hands if I plan on handling them and have just sneezed. I also don't give them kisses or hold them too close until I am better. I do it just as a precaution because I am paranoid.

Status
Not open for further replies.