• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can I disinfect bob cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerseybella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
dawn
With Bobs passing I am unsure what to do with his stuff....Cage...playstand ect....can it be cleaned or should I trash it:confused:

Theresa

AKA TMS
Administrator
Chief of Police
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would wait for the results of the necropsy before doing anything. That way you will know for sure if it was PDD :hug8::hug8:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I would also wait until you know,why throw out things your other Fids could use if its still safe.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I believe there might be some answers on the AHN site:

Avian Health Network: About AHN

This is another good reason to join the Living With PDD list...find out what others are doing to protect the rest of their flock. I had a really good friend whose grey died of PDD. She was very, very careful about all her birds not sharing ANYTHING and disinfecting everything after Wowwie's passing and seemed to do ok.

Kathie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Kathie
Dawn, the first thing you need to do is take Bob's cage and put it somewhere out of sight. I say this so that it is not a constant reminder for you.

You can totally disinfect it with bleach and water. Once you have the histopathology back, you will know how to proceed from there. I don't share any toys with my birds. What goes in one cage stays in that cage. So, you may want to toss any wood toys. Those that are acrylic or plastic can be run through your dishwasher on the hot cycle.

My heart goes out to you. There will be many days of sadness ahead. It will get worse before it gets better, but it will get better. We heal, but we never forget. Sending you huge hugs.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
When I lost Max and Kiwi, there cages stayed up for months....I just couldn't bring myself to take them down, take down toys, etc...I just couldn't do it...but...

I think in your situation until you know what happened you should probably get it all cleaned as quickly as you are up to it....

Dawn, I am so sorry....

hotfoot jackson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
This is so sad..I would throw out all the organic stuff that is hard to disinfect and wait till you get results, then disinfect accordingly. I agree I would use bleach and water, then maybe put those things out in the sun as the UV rays kill bugs.

Status
Not open for further replies.