• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can I buy my only bird, Canary (male) a bed to lay in?

puchesgirl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lois
We have no other birds. We do not want to breed him or anything. Is it alright? I remember someone told me not to add a bed because it will make him want to NEST? Not sure if that was ONLY pertaining to a female? Appreciate any help you can give me. Just thinking it would be a lot more comfortable.

Thanks, Lois

Destiny

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
You might look into platform perches and rope perches. They offer birds some variety and a wider surface to sit or lay down while being up high. But keep in mind that most birds do not sleep laying down, so they don't need a bed.

What kind of perches are available in his cage right now?

puchesgirl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lois
You might look into platform perches and rope perches. They offer birds some variety and a wider surface to sit or lay down while being up high. But keep in mind that most birds do not sleep laying down, so they don't need a bed.

What kind of perches are available in his cage right now?
Thank you so much for replying so quickly. He has a few stick perches and one robe one. He usually will fly up to a top wooden one when he is ready for bed. You can tell when he is ready for bed. Oh, I will look for a platform perch, check that out also! We were just thinking it would be nice to have something more comfortable. :) Thanks again Destiny! Any other suggestions will be appreciated. He flew up to my son on Fourth of July, everyone was out doing BBQ, etc. We placed adds and info, my granddaughter and I rode around several blocks letting people know we had found him and where he would be. No one answered any adds or anything. So, we now have Bubba!!! My son plays a canary singing from on his cell for him lots of time.. :)

flyzipper

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve
We were just thinking it would be nice to have something more comfortable.
It's wonderful that you're wanting the best for your companion, but try to avoid applying human sensibilities about comfort to a bird. :)

A soft bed is comfortable to you and me, but is not part of their natural habitat (and can even be dangerous to birds who chew and injest the soft fibers -- impacting their crop).

puchesgirl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lois
It's wonderful that you're wanting the best for your companion, but try to avoid applying human sensibilities about comfort to a bird. :)

A soft bed is comfortable to you and me, but is not part of their natural habitat (and can even be dangerous to birds who chew and injest the soft fibers -- impacting their crop).
OK, I totally understand... wasn't thinking of it that way.. Thanks for the information. Makes sense!!! :)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
We have no other birds. We do not want to breed him or anything. Is it alright? I remember someone told me not to add a bed because it will make him want to NEST? Not sure if that was ONLY pertaining to a female? Appreciate any help you can give me. Just thinking it would be a lot more comfortable.

Thanks, Lois
What would be more comfortable and the best possible thing you could do is get him a male friend to make buddies with and snuggle up to.

Your bird is a true Flock bird that lives with others of its kind. To live alone is a problem.

puchesgirl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lois
What would be more comfortable and the best possible thing you could do is get him a male friend to make buddies with and snuggle up to.

Your bird is a true Flock bird that lives with others of its kind. To live alone is a problem.
WOW, Thanks for your response, now I am confused, we have read they they can do very well as solitary birds and that two males would fight? Please respond your thoughts? We are so NEW to all this and want to do right by him!, thanks, Lois

Jogging around the block
WOW, Thanks for your response, now I am confused, we have read they they can do very well as solitary birds and that two males would fight? Please respond your thoughts? We are so NEW to all this and want to do right by him!, thanks, Lois
I keep two brothers, haven't seen them fighting. They are inseparable. I also had another unrelated male in the same cage before, they did not fight either.
But, keep in mind they do not always get along. I know a few members who had to separate their males who were fighting badly.

puchesgirl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Lois
I keep two brothers, haven't seen them fighting. They are inseparable. I also had another unrelated male in the same cage before, they did not fight either.
But, keep in mind they do not always get along. I know a few members who had to separate their males who were fighting badly.
But do you think the fact that they were brothers and had known each other from the beginning made a difference. I won't be able to start a whole other cage, so wonder what to look for a better chance if he would get along? Guess there isn't really until they are together, right? Now, is there a normal part of getting to know each other or IF they fight once, it's pretty much a No No. Thanks for your help!!

Jogging around the block
But do you think the fact that they were brothers and had known each other from the beginning made a difference. I won't be able to start a whole other cage, so wonder what to look for a better chance if he would get along? Guess there isn't really until they are together, right? Now, is there a normal part of getting to know each other or IF they fight once, it's pretty much a No No. Thanks for your help!!
I'm not sure if it affected them, but they would fight just as much as my unrelated birds when they were working out the pecking order.
Introducing them in neutral territory, having a large space, and multiple food and water dishes helped in my experience.
Mine when through a phase of getting to know each other where there were some threats and chasing. If the threats and chasing was often, or if they physically touched each other during fighting I would have separated them though.
Before you went and got a second bird, I would have a spare cage if they didn't get along.

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
I do not keep canaries, but from the reading I have done on this species, I believe it is not recommended to house canaries together year round, regardless of gender.

Canaries are territorial and they prefer to have their own space. Being kept in the same cage as another canary, even one that they get along with most of the time, can be quite stressful. Over time, this constant stress can result in fights and obvious signs of aggression between the birds - or one of them might just drop dead for no apparent reason.

Canaries DO appreciate the company of other birds and the cages could be kept in the same room or next to each other. Mated pairs will usually get along together in the same cage during breeding season. But each bird should be kept in its own cage when not breeding and allowed to sleep alone, rather than being housed in pairs or groups. Out-of-cage time can be shared, under supervision.

Also, I don't know how accurate this information is, but one article I read indicated that the lifespan for a solitary canary is significantly greater than the average lifespan of canaries that are kept in pairs (over 10 years vs less than five years). Not sure if this actually reflects the stress of housing these birds together or demands related to breeding or some other factor, since the article provided no citations. Just something to consider, before you get a companion canary.

Personally, I wouldn't recommend buying a second canary unless you have the space and money to give each bird its own cage.

Last edited:

24Feathers

Moving in
If you are looking into getting another canary I have some input. I have four canaries (both genders) in the same cage and I have not had any problems or aggression. I feel that if you do have multiple canaries (this goes for most birds) in the same cage you need to have a big enough cage for them to have space, and enough perches, toys, and places to go. Canaries are territorial so it's important to have a bigger cage so each canary has "their own space". My birds have multiple food bowls on the bottom of the cage so each bird can eat alone if they wanted to, but sometimes they like to eat together. But make sure you have the time, money, and a good place in life to be able to do what you need to to take care of of everything.

-If you were to get another bird and they were to fight or show signs of stress or aggression please take them out and keep them in separate cages. If you let your birds out to fly around the room, you could let them out together and maybe they will get along.

-As my canaries are rescues, they do enjoy having the company of others and being able to fly, chirp/sing and interact with each other. But please remember that all birds are different and have different personalities, this could cause a problem. You could always keep them in separate cages do they could still interact without a problem.

When my canaries go to bed, they all have their own spot they like to sleep in. One of them likes to sleep on a platform perch in the corner of the cage. One likes to sleep on a rope swing. The other two sleep on a normal wooden perch.

Anyways, please do what you think is best for you and your bird :) Thanks for reading this and I hope it can help!

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
If you are looking into getting another canary I have some input. I have four canaries (both genders) in the same cage and I have not had any problems or aggression. I feel that if you do have multiple canaries (this goes for most birds) in the same cage you need to have a big enough cage for them to have space, and enough perches, toys, and places to go. Canaries are territorial so it's important to have a bigger cage so each canary has "their own space". My birds have multiple food bowls on the bottom of the cage so each bird can eat alone if they wanted to, but sometimes they like to eat together. But make sure you have the time, money, and a good place in life to be able to do what you need to to take care of of everything.

-If you were to get another bird and they were to fight or show signs of stress or aggression please take them out and keep them in separate cages. If you let your birds out to fly around the room, you could let them out together and maybe they will get along.

-As my canaries are rescues, they do enjoy having the company of others and being able to fly, chirp/sing and interact with each other. But please remember that all birds are different and have different personalities, this could cause a problem. You could always keep them in separate cages do they could still interact without a problem.

When my canaries go to bed, they all have their own spot they like to sleep in. One of them likes to sleep on a platform perch in the corner of the cage. One likes to sleep on a rope swing. The other two sleep on a normal wooden perch.

Anyways, please do what you think is best for you and your bird :) Thanks for reading this and I hope it can help!
Very indepth and sound advice.
You have covered all the potential requirements for proper care and housing for multiple canaries in a flock environment.
We'll explained ...

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Birds don't lay down as on there side but they can squat with there body close to a platform perch & take some pressure off the legs.
A platform gives them the choice to relax a bit.

Penny sleeps on a platform perch every night. That's her bed & she goes there when its time to sleep.

Rio will generally sleep on his platform perch & uses it during the day too but sometimes the stinkers resorts to sleeping hanging on the side of the cage.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have several male canaries. Some are in cages and some fly loose in the bird room. 2 of them have buddied up and like to hang around harassing one that’s in a cage. It must be good natured teasing though, it’s never anything serious.

@24Feathers has it right - if 2 males, they need space or separate cages. I love mine, especially the late afternoon singing contests.

By the way - at night they could go anywhere they want, but they sleep on a metal bar that’s part of a parrot playtop cage. They have baskets of straw, fake flowers, nests, and perches. Go figure!

Coop

Meeting neighbors
When they sleep they hunker down on a perch and bending the legs this way causes the leg tendons to "lock" their claws around the perch so they don't fall off in their sleep. They are actually safer and more comfortable perched like this than trying to stand flat footed on a platform or "bed". If you want to make them more comfortable, have perches of a lot of different diameters in the cage instead of one size of dowel rods. Natural branches are excellent, are free, and are easy to replace when they get dirty. The feet get better exercise like this.

A single canary will do fine without a companion as long as he is located where he can see his person; he will be very interested in and responsive to the actions of his person and will "socialize" with that person from inside his safe cage. If you must keep more than one canary in the same cage, the bigger the cage the better, and it may seem counterintuitive, but having 3 or more birds is better than having two because they lose track of who they are trying to be aggressive with, and the other birds also interfere. Net result is squabbles are less intense, shorter, and much less likely to be pursued to the point of injury. This also works with roosters, rams, stallions, and bulls! Don't keep just two, one may kill the other if they don't get along. Groups will sort out a dominance order and aggression will be minimal.