• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can I bring a male Cage mate for my male Greencheek?

shooka

Checking out the neighborhood
Hi everyone! I have a 5-8 months old turquoise-yellow side greencheek named Bingo! (Male)
IMG_۲۰۲۳۰۵۰۸_۱۳۲۰۴۴.jpg
So I wanted to bring a cage mate for him , but I don't want them to have eggs so I don't want to bring a female.
But is it ok to have two male ?
Or a should I just don't bring a cage mate?
(And I read about bonding them so I know I should have two separated cages )
Any help or advice, I appreciate it

haze

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sam
It's ok to have two males together. They may still become bonded mates even if they are both male though. It's pretty common. Also, having a male and female doesn't necessarily mean that you will have eggs. Usually parrots won't lay eggs unless they think they have a good "nesting" place in the cage, like a dark hollow area. I think that it would be fine to get him a cage mate of any sex if you really want to get him a cage mate. The most important thing is making sure they get along and don't try to hurt each other at first. You will also have to keep the new bird quarantined for at least a month in a separate room.

Wardy

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have two females get on 95% of the time when out of there cages they have been together for near two years and still sleep in seperate cages, they get on well will venture into each others cages during the day but KiKi wont stay in a cage with Mojo for more than a couple of mins.
Take things slowly and let the birds decide if they want to be caged together.