• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

can finches be "tame"?

Cockatoo-Dust

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
I don't have nor want a finch, but was wondering if they were friendly like a parrot and cuddly and stuff?
Can you have them as a pet and teach them to step up and play with you?
I really know nothing about finches...

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Hand fed finches can be 'tame'.
They do have a hyper nature- so they won't be tame like a african grey. But more along the lines of a budgie. 'step up' is not really a relative statement. I place my hand in the cage and make a clicking sound. Then they jump up and bounce around- usually trying to get to my shoulder (resting in the neck area). They love to play on my computer while I am typing as the clicking and tapping of my fingers reminds them of foraging.

They sing- with a 'chirp' and 'meep meep beep beep' so they are extremely quiet birds. I can call them from across the room, and they don't have issue with me picking them up. But because of their high metabolisms, they do move quick a bit. I call it 'bouncing' But they do often enjoy little head scratches and 'being' with the family (especially if you are eating tasty food).

However, hand feeding finches is one of the most difficult things a breeder can do. Even experienced parrot breeders have extremely hard times with them. They are extremely delicate and require a massive commitment (try feeding them once an hour- even through the night- feeding is like threading a needle...)

But to answer your question- they can be tame, and they can be lots of fun.
My handfed finches usually go to families with small children. It is a wonderful educational tool that is easy to care for. The children love having them flutter around and land on their arms. My finches however are about twice the size of normal zebra finches through decades of selective breeding- so they are also a bit more husky and less delicate.

Last edited:

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
Hand fed finches can be 'tame'.
They do have a hyper nature- so they won't be tame like a african grey. But more along the lines of a budgie. 'step up' is not really a relative statement. I place my hand in the cage and make a clicking sound. Then they jump up and bounce around- usually trying to get to my shoulder (resting in the neck area). They love to play on my computer while I am typing as the clicking and tapping of my fingers reminds them of foraging.

They sing- with a 'chirp' and 'meep meep beep beep' so they are extremely quiet birds. I can call them from across the room, and they don't have issue with me picking them up. But because of their high metabolisms, they do move quick a bit. I call it 'bouncing' But they do often enjoy little head scratches and 'being' with the family (especially if you are eating tasty food).

However, hand feeding finches is one of the most difficult things a breeder can do. Even experienced parrot breeders have extremely hard times with them. They are extremely delicate and require a massive commitment (try feeding them once an hour- even through the night- feeding is like threading a needle...)

But to answer your question- they can be tame, and they can be lots of fun.
My handfed finches usually go to families with small children. It is a wonderful educational tool that is easy to care for. The children love having them flutter around and land on their arms. My finches however are about twice the size of normal zebra finches through decades of selective breeding- so they are also a bit more husky and less delicate.

Interesting! The most i've ever heard about finches was "they are background noise for the house", but that just didn't seem right, so i asked people who know.
Thanks for the reply :)

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Not long ago 'budgies were the thing that pooped on your balcony'
And now "mynas (also called miners and a bunch of other names depending on country) used to be a pest... Now it is the fastest growing appreciation (more of these are being requested than many others globally- people are crazed for them for their ability to mimic and talk'

Im not a fan- because one killed and ate one of my finches. Beautiful dominant silver female....

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
I should add- it wasnt my pet. My birds were in the aviary, and sleeping in a upper corner branch. The wild miner came by and jammed its beak into the abdomen of the finch, and she fell to the ground- and through the bars it continued to decimate her.... until there was not much left but a few feathers and tons of blood.

Now my aviary has security.

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
I should add- it wasnt my pet. My birds were in the aviary, and sleeping in a upper corner branch. The wild miner came by and jammed its beak into the abdomen of the finch, and she fell to the ground- and through the bars it continued to decimate her.... until there was not much left but a few feathers and tons of blood.

Now my aviary has security.

That's one vicious mynah! I don't know why it would want to attack a finch though. Maybe the aviary was in it's territory.
Having a mynah for the talking ability is something a lot of people do. It's an impulse buy. There was once a TV show in the US called "Baretta", where this detective guy went around with a sulpher-crested cockatoo. Then everyone wanted a cockatoo.

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
They are a very aggressive bird- they are bold- known for evicting nests of other birds.

When I was in Thailand there were some wonderful ones as pets- I myself rehabilitated a raven. But in general, that 'type' of bird.

They are on dog thd birds on the watch list because of the invasive and aggressive nature, it is the third worst bird fir causing negative impact to ecosystems, environments and human inclusion.

Anyways.... They often will 'snack' on finches nestlings. In Australia it is a huge problem.

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
They are a very aggressive bird- they are bold- known for evicting nests of other birds.

When I was in Thailand there were some wonderful ones as pets- I myself rehabilitated a raven. But in general, that 'type' of bird.

They are on dog thd birds on the watch list because of the invasive and aggressive nature, it is the third worst bird fir causing negative impact to ecosystems, environments and human inclusion.

Anyways.... They often will 'snack' on finches nestlings. In Australia it is a huge problem.

That's interesting. I guess it's true you learn something new every day!

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Wow- just noticed the typos in my post. yipes. First thing in the morning on my iphone. I apologize.

What I meant to say- is they are 1 of only three birds on the invasive watch list- they reap havoc. Everyday I see them running a muck over here. They are extremely aggressive and are responsible here (and in Australia) for destroying habitats and the avian residents. Omnivores with intent....

Last edited:

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
Wow- just noticed the typos in my post. yipes. First thing in the morning on my iphone. I apologize.

What I meant to say- is they are 1 of only three birds on the invasive watch list- the reap havoc. Everyday I see them running a muck over here. They are extremely aggressive and are responsible here (and in Australia) for destroying habitats and the residents. Omnivores with intent....

It's ok. I managed to figure out at least most of what you meant! :confused:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I love listening to the male society finches sing and the beeping of the zebra finches is cute. I really haven't been able to observe any other finches but did see some owl finches long ago… very unique. Cordon blues are pretty!

karen256

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Most finches aren't really tameable without being handfed. Many can be taught to lose their fear of people and to return to their cages after being let out to fly.
An exception is the java finch/java sparrow. They aren't especially common in the US but in some countries they are kept as tame pets much the same as budgies are here.

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
Most finches aren't really tameable without being handfed. Many can be taught to lose their fear of people and to return to their cages after being let out to fly.
An exception is the java finch/java sparrow. They aren't especially common in the US but in some countries they are kept as tame pets much the same as budgies are here.

Maybe one day if i ever get a finch, i guess i'll try to tame it! It might be easy, you never know until you try...

mythic55

Avenue Veteran
Ya, if you get a zebra- the closest thing you will get to 'taming' is to have it maybe get close to you.... they need to be handfed- then they WONT STAY OFF YOU! lol

I will say- getting blindsided by a bird flying to your shoulder and having a 'meep meep' directly into your eardrum is a heck of a lot nicer than the squawk of a sun conure (no offense to sun conures- but they do know how to scream)

Java sparrows are actually illegal in many places- they can desolate entire fields of crops. They are a huge pest- One of hte only places I have see a tame rice sparrow is in USA. Most other places consider them huge pests.

Apollo Bird

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Heather
I've got a friend whose got a pair of zebra finches they rescued. Both will eat millet out of and jump into their hands as well as accept scritches.

Cockatoo-Dust

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Skylar
Ya, if you get a zebra- the closest thing you will get to 'taming' is to have it maybe get close to you.... they need to be handfed- then they WONT STAY OFF YOU! lol

I will say- getting blindsided by a bird flying to your shoulder and having a 'meep meep' directly into your eardrum is a heck of a lot nicer than the squawk of a sun conure (no offense to sun conures- but they do know how to scream)

Java sparrows are actually illegal in many places- they can desolate entire fields of crops. They are a huge pest- One of hte only places I have see a tame rice sparrow is in USA. Most other places consider them huge pests.

Heh, not much of a touchy-feely bird, huh? I can see why.. If i were that tiny, i wouldn't want something as big as a person touching me, for sure.
Yeah, i know what you mean when a bird squawks directly into your ear.. I have a Lovebird that has super high-pitched chirps and it HURTS your eardrum so much!