• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can Fatty Liver Disease Be Hereditary?

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
Gus was just so small and exhibited no symptoms whatsoever. Necropsy said he died of fatty liver disease but also said there was a yellow spot on his liver? All poop was normal his cere was clean and so was his beak. Urates were normal, no regurgitation. He was just suddenly gone one day. He was fed Kaytee and Nature’s Harvest.

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Gus was just so small and exhibited no symptoms whatsoever. Necropsy said he died of fatty liver disease but also said there was a yellow spot on his liver? All poop was normal his cere was clean and so was his beak. Urates were normal, no regurgitation. He was just suddenly gone one day. He was fed Kaytee and Nature’s Harvest.
I’m sorry for his passing :sadhug2: It can be so hard when it comes from nowhere.

Had he had any bloodwork prior to this, during a regular checkup?

Chouchou

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Katie
There is a major genetic component to fatty liver disease. In genomics, (genetics + how the genes are expressed in life) there are multiple genes that can code for an increased risk of fatty liver disease, especially in Quaker parrots. However, that doesn't mean that external factors (i.e. personal choices) cannot play an equally important role in developing fatty liver disease. Preventative health measures are the most important thing to remember. Eating healthy (low-fat diet), keeping well rested, and exercise and mental stimulation can all do wonders in keeping your parrot from developing fatty liver condition or other kinds of genetic diseases. Millet is for special treats and the occasional snack! Sometimes, bruising on the beak can be an indicator of fatty liver disease, but parrots are masters at hiding illness until it is often too late (they would be preyed upon in the wild if they show any signs of weakness or illness).

I'm very sorry about your loss, though. May Gus rest in peace, my thoughts and prayers are with you both

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
There is a major genetic component to fatty liver disease. In genomics, (genetics + how the genes are expressed in life) there are multiple genes that can code for an increased risk of fatty liver disease, especially in Quaker parrots. However, that doesn't mean that external factors (i.e. personal choices) cannot play an equally important role in developing fatty liver disease. Preventative health measures are the most important thing to remember. Eating healthy (low-fat diet), keeping well rested, and exercise and mental stimulation can all do wonders in keeping your parrot from developing fatty liver condition or other kinds of genetic diseases. Millet is for special treats and the occasional snack! Sometimes, bruising on the beak can be an indicator of fatty liver disease, but parrots are masters at hiding illness until it is often too late (they would be preyed upon in the wild if they show any signs of weakness or illness).

I'm very sorry about your loss, though. May Gus rest in peace, my thoughts and prayers are with you both
I will still be switching everyone to an all pellet only diet just to be on the safe side.

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I will still be switching everyone to an all pellet only diet just to be on the safe side.
Please be careful with doing this. For some species, including budgies and cockatiels, this is widely considered an unwise move. It is usually recommended to have a mix of the two with the possible addition of fresh foods if your bird will eat it.

BabyBirdMa

Strolling the yard
They all have a checkup on Friday; I’ll ask the vet what she thinks just to be certain. The last thing I would ever want to do is hurt my babies or put them in any danger. I just want what’s best for them.

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I'm so sorry for your loss my dear. And..yes..it is hereditary ..sadly. My Matriarch tiel passed it to her children.. they all had fabulous diets but were predisposed it . Her and her 3 children all passed from it. May your baby fly free at the rainbow bridge