• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can Everybody Get Bird Fancier's Lung Disease?

monjur sayad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
monjur sayad
Hankmacaw now cold seassion. so i setup my bird in room.if summer seassion i setup my bird balcony.

MnGuy

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
how many birds ar safe?one say huge amount bird are more cause in this lung disase.
I have a Congo African Grey and suffer from seasonal allergies, and think about this issue a lot myself. I think if you're concerned about your health, keep a low number of birds and stay away from dusty birds in the future. Personally, I only have one bird at the moment and feel that my max is two.

People have already given a lot of great advice, so I won't go on for too long. I will say that there are very good HEPA filters that aren't as expensive as Rabbit or Austin Air filters. I have a few Honeywell HEPA filters in my house that do a great job.

Good luck.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think as suggested as long as your keep your birds' cages clean, don't sleep in the same room as them and get an air purifier you shouldn't be worried. And a pair of cockatiels shouldn't produce that much dust.

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
ok.but powder from get birds body main cause in bfl. im very afraid. i have also asthma.but bird not worsen my asthma. can any alternative in air purifier?
An option for you is to wear mask when cleaning the cages - the paper type that have loops to go over your ears. If you can spray the cage with water before you clean it it will also help prevent airborne dust.

monjur sayad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
monjur sayad
I think as suggested as long as your keep your birds' cages clean, don't sleep in the same room as them and get an air purifier you shouldn't be worried. And a pair of cockatiels shouldn't produce that much dust.
I keep them in other room and here is very cold so I shift them inside my other room from balcony. At this moment I don't have any air purifier in my home. I have exhaust fan can it work to get rid of some dust??

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
It may depending on where it is placed compared to the tiels. Even a small purifier, if you can find one, will help a little. This might help you to figure out what you are looking for -https://best table top air purifiers - Google Search Though depending on where your are in this world of ours they may not be easy to find or be expensive. In my home I have 2 large air purifiers and 5 small ones but I have more tiels than you do. I hope it helps.

monjur sayad

Strolling the yard
Real Name
monjur sayad
I have a Congo African Grey and suffer from seasonal allergies, and think about this issue a lot myself. I think if you're concerned about your health, keep a low number of birds and stay away from dusty birds in the future. Personally, I only have one bird at the moment and feel that my max is two.

People have already given a lot of great advice, so I won't go on for too long. I will say that there are very good HEPA filters that aren't as expensive as Rabbit or Austin Air filters. I have a few Honeywell HEPA filters in my house that do a great job.

Good luck.
Thanks for your advice.but one question im ask u again. which bird are dusty can u mentioned please. now i have only budgerigure and cocatail.after cold seassion i shift my all bird in outside balcony from room.shift in balcony have any benefite in this problem?

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
I know cockatiels are dusty (I have a flock) but part of keeping your tiel's dustiness down might involve very gently misting it (very light spray) like light rain. Most cockatiels enjoy it as it is their version of a bath. If your bird is afraid of spraying, also try putting a small bowl of water at the bottom of the cage. Some of my tiels like sitting in a little water and being sprayed very lightly. This is good for your tiel and also for you but make sure your bird is kept in a warm room after spraying if your winters are cold.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Cockatiels - Cockatoos - African Greys are all considered dusty.

Jas

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Jasmine
My mum has asthma and my birds don't bother her lungs, she also smokes.

Make sure to dust at least once a week, change cage papers every day, wipe down the cage daily or every other day, hoover at least every other day as well. That should keep the dust down.

When dusting just make sure you use a damp cloth with water. You don't need to use anything else.

I have birds in my bedroom for over a decade now and my lungs are fine. My mum hasn't had any problems with them either. If you can't find a Hepa filter open a window to create some air circulation, just make sure it's not cold as birds can die from drafts.

Bfl is something that you would get if you didn't clean at all and hand dozens of powder down parrots (the dusty ones). Just keep ontop of cleaning and you shouldn't have a problem :).

LSA

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Leslie
I clean cages weekly and ALL the cages get a quick spray before the cleanings. In addition, cages are dusted and a layer of newspaper is removed daily.

After almost 5 decades of personal bird ownership and growing up in a BIRD household, BFL has never affected me or my family. I don't and don't recall ever seeing my parents ever wearing masks.

My birds' live in one area and I live in another. (We depend on a baby monitor for night frights.) The birds have an air purifier.