• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can dogs get psittacosis from birds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MBS

Jogging around the block
Sunshine may have an active infection of psittacosis where he is shedding the bacteria. I was told that people could get sick from this too. I forgot to ask the vet if my dogs could get sick from it. Does anybody know?

I won't know what illness Sunshine actually has until the test results come in a few days.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John

MBS

Jogging around the block
Thank for the information. Hopefully that's not what Sunshine has. I can't wait to find out the test results.

Roxy

Strolling the yard
I'm still a newbie here, but I saw your post and want to be informed so I did a little research. I don't know if I can add a link here or not :(
I found a page called Understanding Psittacosis by Hannis L. Stoddard III, DMV. I don't know maybe google that, but I found it by googling Psittacosis in dogs. Anyways, besides the article saying humans can get it from birds, it said The U.S. Department of Agriculture is charged with animal health. Chlamydiosis (The causative agent is Chlamydia psittaci.) can cause infectious abortions in sheep, cattle and goats. The disease can also infect dogs, cats and horses, but these animals do not seem able to spread the illness; they are end-stage hosts. Sorry, it sounds like pretty scarey stuff :( Good luck and wish you the best!

Status
Not open for further replies.