• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can conjunctions spread to my parrot

Biz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Poo
Hi

I have conjunctivitis can this spread to my parrots

I touch them frequently

WillowQ

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
This is a great question. This was my specialty but even I can’t answer.
Do you know what kind of conjunctivitis you have?

I would not let your bird groom you, and maybe would not pet them until treatment has helped if you have viral conjunctivitis.

I am hoping your birds are all healthy. If your birds are also Ill with reddened eyes or respiratory symptoms please contact your vet!

Hi @Pixiebeak for your thoughts.

Biz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Poo
This is a great question. This was my specialty but even I can’t answer.
Do you know what kind of conjunctivitis you have?

I would not let your bird groom you, and maybe would not pet them until treatment has helped if you have viral conjunctivitis.

I am hoping your birds are all healthy. If your birds are also Ill with reddened eyes or respiratory symptoms please contact your vet!

Hi @Pixiebeak for your thoughts.
Bacterial

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
I would keep bird away from my face and wash hands a lot until infection has been treated for several days. Just to be cautious.

So, wash your hands before you pet your bird and keep him away from your face.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Conjunctivitis is very contagious. Looks like different kinds of it can indeed be zoonotic. It is also known as Pink Eye.
Best to be safe rather than sorry- I would personally try to limit all hands on contact with pets and keep them well clear of my face and I would also be hand washing many times daily but especially before and after having your hands anywhere near your face, after touching your pillow case (which I would be changing and disinfecting daily). If you are not careful when you have conjunctivitis you will re infect yourself over and over and also infect others in the home- it spreads like wildfire if you are not careful.

Some care info that you may find helpful. Help Protect Yourself from Pink Eye Infographic | CDC

Hope you are all healed up soon!

Biz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Poo
Conjunctivitis is very contagious. Looks like different kinds of it can indeed be zoonotic. It is also known as Pink Eye.
Best to be safe rather than sorry- I would personally try to limit all hands on contact with pets and keep them well clear of my face and I would also be hand washing many times daily but especially before and after having your hands anywhere near your face, after touching your pillow case (which I would be changing and disinfecting daily). If you are not careful when you have conjunctivitis you will re infect yourself over and over and also infect others in the home- it spreads like wildfire if you are not careful.

Some care info that you may find helpful. Help Protect Yourself from Pink Eye Infographic | CDC

Hope you are all healed up soon!
Thank you,

i am not going to them at all since we are actually going travelling soon so this is horrid timing

I miss them so much I feel horrible

at least they have each other

WillowQ

Real Name
Heather Gerbyshak
Honestly it’s best you are away from them. And maybe less stressful and sad for you all as you just don’t have that conflict.

I hope it clears up soon. Ouch!

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
You should consider Avian clymadia, called parrot fever when people get ..as you he e mentioned health concerns with your bird

Biz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Poo
You should consider Avian clymadia, called parrot fever when people get ..as you he e mentioned health concerns with your bird
Sorry it’s viral not bacterial I made a mistake just checked w doxtor

I did?? My parrots are alright

could you direct me to the post you are felating to??

they had struggled with an infection for a while and were on meds at the time I was most concerned about them

thank u guys for the help I’m having somebody else feed them completely I’m not gonna go to them until it completely clears up

Pixiebeak

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Laura
Sorry it’s viral not bacterial I made a mistake just checked w doxtor

I did?? My parrots are alright

could you direct me to the post you are felating to??

they had struggled with an infection for a while and were on meds at the time I was most concerned about them

thank u guys for the help I’m having somebody else feed them completely I’m not gonna go to them until it completely clears up
[/QUOT
Apologies if I mixed you up with someone else

Biz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Poo
No no I’m not offended just confused thank u sm for the concern