• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can cockatiels get along with lovebirds?

Duel

Walking the driveway
I currently have only one lovebird and I've been thinking of getting a cockatiel. Truth is I originally wanted a cockatiel but there wasn't any around so I got a lovebird though now the breeder I got my lovebird from now breeds cockatiels. My lovebird is a 6 month old fischer and if I go through with getting a cockatiel I've been preparing my lovebird by exposing him to videos of cockatiels chirping and he just raises his head up at first then watches while being still. Any tips on how to introduce them properly too?

hrafn

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Depends on the situation you're planning; I would never, ever, in a million years house a 'tiel and lovebird together in the same cage.

With close supervision, however, they could potentially hang out. You have to be a bit hyper-aware of who's where at all times, just based on the fact that lovebirds are feisty little guys who like to squabble, and in a fight the cockatiel would lose soundly.

The 'tiel would need to be quarantined (the length of quarantine is down to personal preference and when you get initial vet checks done, but I go for two months), but during that time the two would be aware of one another's presence, and be able to communicate back and forth between rooms. Once quarantine ended, the two could be placed into the same room, but I'd avoid immediately allowing them out together, as your lovie is likely to be territorial and suspicious of the new arrival. Take them out in turns over a period of time, and if both seem to be accepting (or at least tolerant) of one another, you can try letting them out together, on separate play stands so they still have personal space.

Be aware that the two may never become friends, and you could be stuck taking them out in turns forever. Do you have enough time in a day for that?

@JLcribber has a flock with some colossal beak size disparities, but everyone is able to hang out together; he can provide better insight than me.

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
At one point I had both lovebirds and cockatiels. There can be a big difference in temperament. My lovies always had such big, bossy personalities and the tiels were laid back and almost shy by comparison. Definitely keep them in separate cages. (My lovebirds would definitely bully the cockatiels if they were out at the same time.)

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Depends on the situation you're planning; I would never, ever, in a million years house a 'tiel and lovebird together in the same cage.

With close supervision, however, they could potentially hang out. You have to be a bit hyper-aware of who's where at all times, just based on the fact that lovebirds are feisty little guys who like to squabble, and in a fight the cockatiel would lose soundly.

Be aware that the two may never become friends, and you could be stuck taking them out in turns forever. Do you have enough time in a day for that?

Good advice. Any two birds "can" get along but don't count on it.

Over a long period of time as they live together in a non aggressive stress free environment they will learn to cohabitate as long as one of them isn't always stressing out the other. But again don't count on it.

Lovebirds and cockatiels have very clashing personalities. The odds of a friendship are low. But you just never know.

Female Lovebirds are vicious little critters. This will always be a factor to keep in mind.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Cockatiels are really laid back. Lovies are feisty. It can be a dangerous combination even though lovies are smaller. Definitely separate cages. And if out together, they would need supervision. A woman on a cockatiel forum I used to belong to had her lovebird almost completely bite her tiel's toe off- through the cage. So you would just have to be careful.

Duel

Walking the driveway
Well I've also been training my lovie to discourage him from any aggressive behavior and now he rarely bites unless if he accidentally bites my finger instead of the food on my finger for him. I've been thinking that if I do get a tiel then after the quarantine and introducing them to each other, I would have them eat from separate bowls next to each other outside of the cage (in front of me of course) and then slowly have them eat while closer to each other over time. Then after they show comfort with each others presence try having them share a bowl while in front of me. I'm not sure if this helps in terms of info for you guys but the breeder I got my bird from hand feeds all the baby birds (including my lovebird that I got and all tiels as well). Would that be a good plan?
P.S. I got my lovebird tested when I got him and it came out he's a male so that's better I guess according to you guys?

Last edited:

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I don’t think it’s a good idea to have any two birds share the same bowl, unless u mean like a large plate or something. Fighting over food is not something u want to give opportunity to.

Duel

Walking the driveway
I don’t think it’s a good idea to have any two birds share the same bowl, unless u mean like a large plate or something. Fighting over food is not something u want to give opportunity to.
I meant while out of the cage in front of me to see if they would have gotten along or not and if something goes wrong I would separate them immediately. This is all just thinking of possible ways to get them along if I end up getting a tiel.

Duel

Walking the driveway
Last question, since my lovebird is a male (I had him tested) do you think he won't be as aggressive if I get a female cockatiel?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I don´t think it will make a difference, but I don´t know for sure.

Maybe go for a male Tiel so you don´t have to worry about eggs ect on top of everything else. Again, I don´t know the answer.

Hopefully someone else may know more :)

Truth is I originally wanted a cockatiel but there wasn't any around so I got a lovebird
Please don´t exclude the lovebird when you do get a cockatiel.
Really you should have waited ´til you could get the bird you wanted, I´m sure you will agree.
I just hope you don´t love him less than the cockatiel. It´s not his fault.

Last edited:

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Last question, since my lovebird is a male (I had him tested) do you think he won't be as aggressive if I get a female cockatiel?
Your lovebird is bonded to you. It's not likely he will befriend "any" other bird because he has what he wants. If you start showing affection to this new intruder/competition in front of him, them's fightin' words in bird world. This new bird will now become a threat/enemy to be driven off.

Again. These two species have very clashing opposite personalities and are a potential danger to each other.

Duel

Walking the driveway
Your lovebird is bonded to you. It's not likely he will befriend "any" other bird because he has what he wants. If you start showing affection to this new intruder/competition in front of him, them's fightin' words in bird world. This new bird will now become a threat/enemy to be driven off.

Again. These two species have very clashing opposite personalities and are a potential danger to each other.
Ok thanks for all that advice. I'll hold off on doing it for now and rethink about the new bird idea in a few months then.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Ok thanks for all that advice. I'll hold off on doing it for now and rethink about the new bird idea in a few months then.
Nothing will change. Whenever you decide to get another bird you must be prepared to provide separate environments and times if they don't get along because there's a good chance that's how things will turn out.

Maybe not but the odds aren't in your favour.

Duel

Walking the driveway
Nothing will change. Whenever you decide to get another bird you must be prepared to provide separate environments and times if they don't get along because there's a good chance that's how things will turn out.

Maybe not but the odds aren't in your favour.
Oh yes of course I plan on having them separated if I ever do get a 2nd bird and I'm well aware it can take months for them to get along when outside of their cages. Luckily sometime within a year from now I'll be changing where I live which might give me the chance of getting a 2nd bird since my 1st bird won't be territorial about an environment he would be new to making him possibly less aggressive if I go through with it during that time frame but that's all stuff to think of later and not now.