• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can Canaries Live With Budgies?

BirdBonkers5

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sree
My Canary, Chili, is a bird that was given to me (re-homed) just a few weeks ago by a friend who was moving to a different country and couldn't take him with her. I wasn't expecting another bird at the time, but I decided to take him in.
My friend told me that canaries could get along with budgies, and that I could put him in my budgies' cage after a while (she has owned birds for many years and says her canaries in the past got along well with budgies).
I did a lot of research on this topic, but some sites say canaries can get along with budgies, others say they can't...
I don't want to stress out or hurt any of my birds, but the cage Chili is living in is very small and should only be temporary, and my budgies' cage has plenty of space for him...
:anyone:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bump.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
IMHO, I don't think so. Budgies are hook bills and can be aggressive, and it's a pair that could really gang up on a single different bird. I think Chili could be seriously hurt. Oddly I had a female cockatiel (very gentle and sweet) and a male border canary (he was pretty big and chill). They lived next to one another for 15 years. At that point they were both quite old and I put them into a larger cage together to live out their old age and it worked out beautifully for a few more years. I think they kept each other company and sometimes actually sat close to one another on a perch.

*At the time I didn't know that a cockatiel could create dust that would be unhealthy for my canary. But he lived to be 17 so I guess he was OK. :)

BirdBonkers5

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sree
IMHO, I don't think so. Budgies are hook bills and can be aggressive, and it's a pair that could really gang up on a single different bird. I think Chili could be seriously hurt. Oddly I had a female cockatiel (very gentle and sweet) and a male border canary (he was pretty big and chill). They lived next to one another for 15 years. At that point they were both quite old and I put them into a larger cage together to live out their old age and it worked out beautifully for a few more years. I think they kept each other company and sometimes actually sat close to one another on a perch.

*At the time I didn't know that a cockatiel could create dust that would be unhealthy for my canary. But he lived to be 17 so I guess he was OK. :)
Thanks for the advice! :heart: I will most likely not be putting him in my budgies' cage now, and will be looking for a bigger cage. I'm glad it worked out for you with your cockatiel and canary!

Serin

Sprinting down the street
I have kept many of both together in aviaries or a bird room but would not reccomend caging together. I have kept more budgies than most people and do find their aggression greatly overexaggerated. I have dealt with just one aggressive hen out of more than twenty birds.

Yoshi&Raphi

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Raphi
I think you should monitor how they are in out of cage time together. If they seem to enjoy each other’s company or completely ignore each other you could try, but if any fights break out remove immediately.

Hawk12237

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Michael
Yes they can... had my white budgie and red factor canary in a flight cage. they got along fine and were pals.
My senny even sneak into cage and sit with them.
So yea a budgie and canary are no problem, but have two food bowls and two water dishes.

BirdBonkers5

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sree
Thank you, everyone, for the advice! I don't want to risk it, though, and will just keep my birds separated. :)

Anneka

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
I’d not recommend. Canaries can be overprotective when it comes to food bowls. They love to eat and eat often.
I once had a budgie and a canary in the same cage and the canary would not let budgie eat!