• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can Budgies Over Preen?

LiveLolBrd

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lana
I have a budgie, Skye and he seems to preen a lot more than Kiwi my other budgie. Whenever I let the birds out Skye goes from his cage to Kiwi's and preens for almost as long as Kiwi is out. He won't play with toys much at all just preen, preen, preen.
Is that normal?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I think any species can over do it. Have you noticed any feather loss?

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
Agree with @Xoetix
Is he losing feathers or showing signs of barring his feather
Does he seem itchy how often do they bath

pip preens more than remi baths more than remi too pip as to have a bath daily if I don’t offer outside cage min he goes back will do it in cage or sometimes just takes himself into his cage to have a bath

LiveLolBrd

Real Name
Lana
@Xoetix @Emma&pico No, he doesn't seems to lose any feathers. He won't take baths. Whenever I give him the option he just gets super scared and flys away. I don't think he is barring his feathers either. Iv'e had him for 7 weeks. Is he STILL stressed out about moving to my house from the store? I don't know if preening means he is stressed tho.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
What bath methods have you tried? I think it’s @AussieBird (or maybe @Sparkles99 ?) that hung wet greens up and their budgies go nuts running through it.

Do your other birds enjoy baths? My male tiel hates bathing, BUT I’ve recently learned (after having him two years :rolleyes: ) that if I’m bathing my cockatoo he’ll be happy to get in on the action. He just needs to see others bathing first.

LiveLolBrd

Real Name
Lana
What bath methods have you tried? I think it’s @AussieBird (or maybe @Sparkles99 ?) that hung wet greens up and their budgies go nuts running through it.

Do your other birds enjoy baths? My male tiel hates bathing, BUT I’ve recently learned (after having him two years :rolleyes: ) that if I’m bathing my cockatoo he’ll be happy to get in on the action. He just needs to see others bathing first.
I have only witnesses Kiwi taking a bath once in the 6 months i've had her and it was in her water bowl :laugh:
When I take Kiwi in the shower she doesn't take a bath but her feathers get damp and she sing and bobs her head the entire time.
I have tried with Skye but he just get scared. I have tried them bathing in a clear dish and also in lettuce. And in the sink.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
Try some wet lettuce! My female tiel practically drowned herself (not literally, obviously, but it certainly looked like an effort) in a bowl of chopped lettuce and water

LiveLolBrd

Real Name
Lana
Try some wet lettuce! My female tiel practically drowned herself (not literally, obviously, but it certainly looked like an effort) in a bowl of chopped lettuce and water
Okay! i have hung up some wet chard by their food bowls this morning.

Emma&pico

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
If you have only had him 7weeks bathing is a very vulnerable thing to a bird to be wet means not being able to fly as well etc

don’t stop offering him one more you offer etc more he will get use to a bowl or whatever

try splashing your in bowl of water worked for everyone of mine

pip and remi both moulted straight away at my house breeder and my vet said it can be change of food environment etc pip was super itchy and look really rough had me so worried

LiveLolBrd

Real Name
Lana
If you have only had him 7weeks bathing is a very vulnerable thing to a bird to be wet means not being able to fly as well etc

don’t stop offering him one more you offer etc more he will get use to a bowl or whatever

try splashing your in bowl of water worked for everyone of mine

pip and remi both moulted straight away at my house breeder and my vet said it can be change of food environment etc pip was super itchy and look really rough had me so worried
Thanks for your input! I will do my best.

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Call me AB
Honestly I've found every one of my budgie to have their own unique bathing method. Not many of mine can resist wet leaves as mentioned. But some like it combined with a spray bottle, some like it dangling in the water bowl, some will only use leaves by themselves.
Kale is also great for baths :)

LiveLolBrd

Real Name
Lana
Honestly I've found every one of my budgie to have their own unique bathing method. Not many of mine can resist wet leaves as mentioned. But some like it combined with a spray bottle, some like it dangling in the water bowl, some will only use leaves by themselves.
Kale is also great for baths :)
Okay, I will give some of your guy's ideas a go!