• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can Budgies get Covid?

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
I just found out that I was exposed to Covid this week which makes me wonder whether I could’ve passed it on Luke because we spend so much time together.

Not sure if it is zootonic or not but it’s difficult to avoid luke because we share a room and I’m his primary caretaker. Any advice on this? :sad4:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
As far as I've seen so far, it is not passing to birds. There were some reports of cats and dogs getting it but I'm not sure how well understood that is at this time.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

Farfah

Walking the driveway
I've heard of dogs, cats, ferrets and a zoo gorilla getting covid. Nothing about birds but if you want to be safe, keep your distance, wear a mask and wash your hands.

Farfah

Walking the driveway
I meant to share: COVID-19 And Pet Birds – Pet Birds by Lafeber Co.

The American Veterinary Medical Association recommends that people infected with COVID-19 have limited contact with their pets and allow others to care for them until we better understand the virus. The AVMA also recommends against kissing, hugging, and sharing food with pets. This prevents respiratory secretions of infected people being spread to animals.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
So much is unknown so I would play it safe & keep some distance while you are sick.
Least wear a mask around the birds & wash hands before cleaning cages or food etc.

You were exposed but may or may not have contracted it. If you get sick best to rest & keep distance.

If you caught it I hope you get well soon.

Farfah

Walking the driveway
Sorry to hear! Wishing you a quick and safe recovery.

Lilfluff

Moving in
I belive there hasn't been any cases mammal to bird transfer( it would be extremely difficult biologically) but I would wash hands before and after, not share food, ect. Who knows what craziness this virus can morph into. Also (like any emergency) have someone to dial to take over incase you got a bad case and need assistance. That said wish you all the luck, hope you get well and good question!

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
Wow, if you don't mind saying...how did you get exposed? Were you wearing a mask?

Hope you have a mild case.
My boyfriend works as a mechanic and he got exposed at work. I rarely leave the home. He wears a mask he says but he works closely with others.

So far it’s been mild, I have the worst sore throat of my life, cough, occasional body aches, ear pain and as of today my nose feels congested

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo
I belive there hasn't been any cases mammal to bird transfer( it would be extremely difficult biologically) but I would wash hands before and after, not share food, ect. Who knows what craziness this virus can morph into. Also (like any emergency) have someone to dial to take over incase you got a bad case and need assistance. That said wish you all the luck, hope you get well and good question!
Thank you! Hoping it doesn’t get any worse. I was exposed on Saturday and I’d I’m symptom free by the 25th I will no longer be contagious. So I’m hoping I can hang In until then!

Miss_sj

Jogging around the block
Real Name
stacie
I hope you feel much better soon. Rest up and look after yourself :heart:

Ira

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Ira R.
I tested positive yesterday. Feeling fine though, except the loss of taste is driving me crazy.

I haven’t taken Archie out of his cage since, and I’m torn about what to do. I can’t imagine totally cutting off all contact.

Farfah

Walking the driveway
I tested positive yesterday. Feeling fine though, except the loss of taste is driving me crazy.

I haven’t taken Archie out of his cage since, and I’m torn about what to do. I can’t imagine totally cutting off all contact.
Hope you get your tastebuds back soon! Maybe you can put cayenne pepper on everything like I do for the birds when they won't eat their veggies lol.

It will be hard but you can do it - just two weeks!!

Reactions: Ira

CGrillo

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Claudia Grillo

I just got lost of taste and smell yesterday and it has been freaking me out as well. I feed him and take care of him so he has to stay in my room but i try to wash my hands if I have contact with him and wear a mask when I’m close up. I also am very congested as of this weekend. Hope you feel better!

Reactions: Ira