• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can budgies eat tofu

budgie2021

Sprinting down the street
Been eating a lot of tofu recently and since I don’t have much time to cook legumes, would tofu be an okay protein source to serve to an adult budgie? What type (raw, cooked) should be served and does the type of firmness matter? How often should it be served, considering my budgie is a bit overweight?

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
How often should it be served, considering my budgie is a bit overweight?
If your bird is overweight, I would avoid it. Opt for vegetables instead. Lettuce, peppers, peas, and other leafy greens.
Allowing daily flight time out of their cage can also help in bringing their weight down.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Tofu is a processed food. If I were you I would stick to whole foods, fresh veggies and only pellets specifically formulated for your birds.

CrazyKozmo

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Rebecca
If you want to give your bird soy, maybe edamame (not in the pod) might be okay.... You can buy it in the frozen section at health food stores, and just thaw a few as needed.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Yes they can. I feed it on occasion because it's a great source of protein and calcium. However they don't need a lot of it... A tiny half inch cube is all I offer.

As to the overweight thing, I'm not sure. Tofu is considered to be lower calorie, but you'll need to look at the diet as a whole to determine why your bird has extra grams.