• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can birds smell predators eg Cat Urine?

Xoetix

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I really enjoy your writing! Your descriptions of Bill and his managerial abilities are fantastic.

He dosn't watch the same videos as me but he did it anyway
:roflmao:

Icey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ann
I found this to be a nice day-by-day diary of the antics of this lady's budgies: who is training who, touch training, and self-learning through Pamela Clarke, an amazing author.
What I find in particular of interest is our birds ability to smell things.
I know for my two, their sense of smell is good.
I can have my back turned to Frankie peeling an orange and he will ask "Orange"? That is from a different room than I am in.
Dolly can smell dinner when I am in the kitchen and just taking it out the oven.
It is right there when you think about all the dangers they warn you about, such as chemicals, perfumes, sprays, etc. Of course they must be able to smell them. Can't they?
I'm not sure if Bev is still here or not, but I enjoyed her posts.

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I found this to be a nice day-by-day diary of the antics of this lady's budgies: who is training who, touch training, and self-learning through Pamela Clarke, an amazing author.
What I find in particular of interest is our birds ability to smell things.
I know for my two, their sense of smell is good.
I can have my back turned to Frankie peeling an orange and he will ask "Orange"? That is from a different room than I am in.
Dolly can smell dinner when I am in the kitchen and just taking it out the oven.
It is right there when you think about all the dangers they warn you about, such as chemicals, perfumes, sprays, etc. Of course they must be able to smell them. Can't they?
I'm not sure if Bev is still here or not, but I enjoyed her posts.
I wonder if there are smells that birds are blind to. I had the same thought as @Pixiebeak , in that so many birds are killed by cats annually. Maybe it varies by species - that would probably be more likely. Or a combination of both? The way humans go nose-blind to smells that we’re around a lot, maybe that’s why wild birds don’t smell cats?

I can feel my next rabbit hole research coming on :laugh: