• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can birds get nightmares?

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Phoenix was sleeping, same with Raijū, and it was absolutely silent when Phoenix suddenly screamed. It was like he got scared. I went and checked on him and he was breathing rapidly like something spooked him. He calmed down and now he’s back to his happy self

I just wonder if it’s possible for birds to have nightmares? Or to even dream at all? I’m not sure what else could have scared him like that since it was silent, and they have a night light

5 feathers

Meeting neighbors
Well, it happened to me more than 5 times. Birds can have dreams and nightmares according to me. Paroo was hanging out with an apple after his long sleep (Might be a dream of a lifetime supply of apples) and Menu growled at her Cage-Mates in the middle of her sleep.

Conclusion: Birds and parrots can have dreams and nightmares

Toy

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'd say yes. JaKhu (B&G Macaw) will often let out a growl or scream while she's sleeping. Beak tucked over her back, eyes shut.

MR. Mango

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
I do wonder what dreams r like for them

GreenThing

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Kat
I mean, experiments on maze-running mice suggest their brains will splice mazes they've run together while they sleep (heard this on a Radio Lab episode about the role of dreams in problem solving)...! I could swear that Merlin didn't notice the crows outside my window until the first night he had a night fright, because for days after that he would stare at the window with slicked down feathers. He probably just SAW a crow for the first time, and I'm the one making the connection, but it's easy to believe he had a dream about a big scary bird coming through the window!

EDIT: someone else linked this article on the avenue a few years ago, and there is a much-discussed study on zebra finches

Last edited: