• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can birds get motion sickness??

Britnicorn

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Phoenix was sitting on my lap, and I was waving my pointer finger in front of his beak in a circle (I was doing that "lolli lolli lolli pop!" thing where you draw a circle in front of someones face then boop their nose on the pop) I thought he liked it because he would head bob like he was excited, but this time he stood there staring at my circling finger, then suddenly started his sneezing fit/gagging thing he does occasionally (super occasionally, I usually only ever see it if he gets something in his nose, he sneezes and his head moves weirdly like he's vomiting but nothing comes out)
I put my hand over him until he was done and now he's all better, so I wonder if it's possible I made him dizzy? I feel bad now :(

Britnicorn

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Britney
Jee, not looking forward to the trip we will be having in a couple of months then. It’ll be at least a two hour drive :faint:

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My birds do ok in the car, but before I took the budgie boys on the two-day road trip last year, I looked up what to do for a car sick bird. Apparently, ginger helps settle their stomachs and chamomile tea helps calm their nerves. Maybe @Shezbug has some things she does to help poor Burt!

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
My macaws throw up every time they're taken somewhere in the car.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
My Quaker gets car sick

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
My birds do ok in the car, but before I took the budgie boys on the two-day road trip last year, I looked up what to do for a car sick bird. Apparently, ginger helps settle their stomachs and chamomile tea helps calm their nerves. Maybe @Shezbug has some things she does to help poor Burt!
He won’t keep anything down so I just don’t take him anywhere in the car anymore unless I absolutely have to.
I have been told to try covering his carrier to see if that lessens his nausea but I don’t really want to do that as I won’t be able to see if he falls off his perch so we just keep all trips to under ten minutes as he doesn’t seem to actually spew until about 20 mins into the trips.
None of my past birds got car sick and I actually had a few of them travel from one end of Australia to the other by car with minimal stops and back again a few years later. Burt is the only bird I’ve ever had that gets crook in the car.