• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can birds get covid?

Tenleigh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tenleigh
I tested positive for Covid-19 this morning. I been seeing mixed answers if birds can get COVID-19 or not. Does anyone know if I can spend COVID-19 to my cockatiel? If birds can’t get COVID-19, can some people give me tips how to entertain my bird while we quarantine in a room?

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
At this time it is not believed that COVID can be passed from people to birds. You should still take care to not kiss your bird, have them sit on your shoulder or in your face, share food, and be sure to follow basic hygiene like washing your hands, just to be safe.

Feel better!

Tenleigh

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tenleigh
At this time it is not believed that COVID can be passed from people to birds. You should still take care to not kiss your bird, have them sit on your shoulder or in your face, share food, and be sure to follow basic hygiene like washing your hands, just to be safe.

Feel better!
Ok thank you!

cnyguy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Gary
According to what I've read, birds are not susceptible to COVID, but it's still best to take precautions and not take any chances. I have heard of COVID cases in lions and bears, and in horses, but the horses are apparently susceptible to a different form than the type that keeps circulating among us humans.

flyzipper

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Steve

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
When I had Covid I just made sure to wash my hands before taking care of Zazu and limited my time around her as much as I could. We were both quite sad about it but better safe than sorry.

Momof3litt

Sprinting down the street
Hope you aren't feeling too badly and start to feel better soon! We've been through 2 rounds of Covid in the last 6 months (so 10 total cases :bored:) and our birds have not been affected in any way I can tell. We didn't change any management practices, but they did get less 1-on-1 when I was very sick.

cocotiel

Meeting neighbors
Hope you’re feeling better now and that you get well soon :flowers:
Bird’s can’t get covid as far as I know but you may of course maintain some distance from your bird just as a precautionary measure