• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can birds eat sanddollars?

IsaDa18

Strolling the yard
For calcium or grit? Its dry, has been for ten years.

Laurie

The Best Bird Toys
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Laurie
They are made of calcium carbonate which should be okay but sometimes they are bleached with bleach I am not sure if that would be an issue or not. That is how I clean mine that I find at the beach.

It seems to me that it would be very similar to cuttlefish bones which are commonly sold for birds.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Where did you get it and why is it 10 years old? Where's it been?

A fresh cuttlebone made for birds is very cheap and is safe.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
I would not give them the sand dollars. When broken there are some pieces - I think 5 - that resemble "birds" that are small - I would be afraid that some birds may have trouble when trying to swallow these pieces - like trying to eat larger pieces of egg shell. Google "Legend of the Sand Dollar" and you will see these small pieces - "doves of peace".

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Don't do it. Be very careful about using anything not specifically designed for birds. For that matter, be cautious even of things that are marketed for birds. Make sure the items are safe and from a reputable company/place.

Last edited:

Tim

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Will it hurt them--probably not. I'd boil them first to ensure they are completely sterilized. But I agree with John--cuttlefish bones are cheap. I'd keep the sand dollar as decorative. Calcium carbonate, which is the composition of both shells, isn't the most effective form of calcium, anyway.

IsaDa18

Strolling the yard
Where did you get it and why is it 10 years old? Where's it been?

A fresh cuttlebone made for birds is very cheap and is safe.
I had it as a girl but during my move part of it was crushed. Completely natural and unbleached, collected it myself as a kid.