• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can bird eat black bean

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
If there’s no salt they will be fine.

I feed black beans but I cook them myself so there’s no added salt. The salt would be your only concern.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
I would avoid canned beans. But black beans are fine if cooked from dry beans or even frozen. Easiest to make your own so you can be confident they are salt free.

Fuzzy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Roz
I feed black beans too. I cook a big batch of them (soaked overnight, fast boiled for 10 mins, then simmered for 40 - 50 mins) and freeze them in tiny containers. So easy to defrost one when needed. Even though cans say no added salt, I feel there is not so much nutrition (?) and sometimes added preservatives. Also they taste nicer freshly cooked and frozen. :)

Xoetix

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Meghan (she/her)
I feed black beans too. I cook a big batch of them (soaked overnight, fast boiled for 10 mins, then simmered for 40 - 50 mins) and freeze them in tiny containers. So easy to defrost one when needed. Even though cans say no added salt, I feel there is not so much nutrition (?) and sometimes added preservatives. Also they taste nicer freshly cooked and frozen. :)
And they're cheaper! You can usually get a pound of dried beans for the same cost as a can.

Reactions: Biz

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Most minerals and fat soluble nutrients are largely unaffected by canning. They also don't need to add preservatives because the canning process is the preservation method. However, water soluble vitamins do suffer greatly (all the B vitamins like folate, thiamine, riboflavin, etc, and Vitamin C)

You do need to avoid ones that have salt though. Most canned beans do have a reduced sodium version available, but Sodium Free is hard to come by. So I guess it depends what is near you.

And yeah, dry is a lot cheaper overall!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I do this too, but use a variety of beans and freeze them in ice cube trays for small serving sizes, then bag them and defrost them one "cube" at a time.

Biz

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Poo
Hi
can parrot eat canned black beans
This brand specifically
Thank u all for replies. I was mostly asking IN CASE any of my birds got their beaks on a bean. I didn’t know they were allowed to eat beans I swear that I read somewhere that they couldn’t.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Uncooked beans can be deadly (even to humans!). Kidney beans in particular are considered toxic when dry or raw. Most beans are safe when well cooked (there are some that aren't), and only a few are safe just sprouted. Black beans are safe when cooked :)

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
mung beans are safe for sprouting, and honestly they are the only beans I even try to sprout :) All the rest I cook well, to avoid any mistakes. Especially since some beans can look a little similar.