• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can anyone tell me what kind of lovie I have

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heather

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
Hello everyone~! I was wondering if someone would be able to tell me what "kind" or mutation of lovebird I have. I purchased him (along with 3 other lovies) from a store here in town that was going out of business and I didn't get much information on him. He (I had him DNA sexed @ my avian vet) is a very sweet boy but isn't hand tame, but we are working on it! So far he has eaten from my hand and taken palm fronds from my hand as well. He wouldn't do that when I first got him. He would hang upside down in his cage when he first came home with me. Anyhow, I really appreciate the help!

Attachments

Babybreau

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Tanya
I'm going to take a stab and say some kind of slate/double dark factor violet mix. Helpful I know :huh: but that's as close as I can come.
Oh and he's a peach-faced variety, so if you put him with a female, it must be a peach-faced variety female.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
A cute one!!!

Ginger

J*M*L

Real Name
Julie
I'm going to take a stab and say some kind of slate/double dark factor violet mix. Helpful I know :huh: but that's as close as I can come.
Oh and he's a peach-faced variety, so if you put him with a female, it must be a peach-faced variety female.
I think Tanya's right. :dancing:

Heather

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
Thank you! I had done some digging on the internet and I thought he looked similar to a few other lovebirds that were described as a "slate blue" and a "violet" but I had no idea!SO thank you! & Dink thanks you all for the sweet comments! He is a lovely little guy but I really don't know much about his past. I don't think that his previous parents paid him any attention.However that is not the case now;). He is not hand tame but since he has lived with me, he is finally "comfortable" with my hands in his cage. So much so that he will take things from me when I offer them. So I am sure with a little more love and a lot of patience he will come around. Then again, even if he never becomes hand tame he is still my guy!

Tamara

Real Name
Tamara R Money
He looks like a Slate (blue slate). What were the parents though?

vmorrison

Meeting neighbors
He appears to be a Double Dark Factor Aqua Peachie. If his beak is two-toned (pinkish horn at the top, fading to horn colored halfway down the beak), then he's a Double Dark Factor AquaTurquoise Peachie. The photo isn't good enough to make the distinction. Double dark factor hides violet so you would not know if violet is present without breeding him.

Tamara

Real Name
Tamara R Money
He looks like a Slate (blue slate). What were the parents though?
Tootsie looks just like him (we raised Tootsie from a Medium Seagreen x Medium Normal split to -ino).

Allessa

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Janifer
He looks a bit like my Stormy, maybe a bit darker and with the peach brow. When i first bought him his dad had the peach brow, and i remember the breeder saying there was a chance hed get it, but he never did. Stormy is a double factor violet..yada yada? My gosh its such a long name i never remember lol. BUT, i think urs looks more to the slate than the violet. Heres mine

Baboo's Momma

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Stephanie
He is a slate( double dark) Dutch Blue. It would be impossible to tell if he is violet or not without knowing the parents or breeding him. He is quiet a handsome fellow, congrats on the new addition!

Edit: Just seen Vmorrison's post, completely agree!

Heather

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
Thank you! He seems to like his name too:p!

Heather

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
And Thank you Stephanie! Dink and Tessa are a pair. She is a Peach Faced lovebird. Tessa is sitting on 5 eggs at the moment. She laid her 5th one yesterday. So I am eager to see what the babies look like. Maybe then I will be able to tell if he is violet or not. BTW your babies are beautiful! ALL OF THEM!

Heather

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
As far as what Dink's parents were, I haven't the slightest idea. I purchased him along with 3 other lovies from a store that was going out of business. The lady that I purchased them from was only taking cash and bartering with other customers left and right on EVERYTHING in her store. Including 3 baby macaws. Kiska was one of the other 3 lovebirds that I purchased and she was laying on the bottom of her cage. I thought she was dead but I saw her breathing so I bought all 4 birds!

Last edited:

Baboo's Momma

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Stephanie
Thanks for the sweet word Heather!! I can't wait to see what you'll get either, maybe if you can get a few good shots of the parents including tails & beaks I could help you about with that a bit. Of course any splits would be a surprise!!

I am really glad you got those birds, sounds to me like Kiska was probably stressed from all the commotion. It's nice to hear they found loving homes...

And I'd love to see the rest of your birds!!

Heather

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Heather
I was able to take a few more pictures of Dink- maybe these will help :). Dinks mate is Tessa and she is the same color as Kiska and Sitka.

The "girls" on the other hand are scared of my camera ( I think because it's too big) and these were the only ones I could get of them. Kiska is the one with feathers missing around her neck and her ear. You are able to see her face really well in the last picture. Sitka is the lovebird caged with her. You can see Sitka's tail well in the 4th picture.

Attachments

Status
Not open for further replies.