• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can anyone recomed Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo breeders around grantham linconshire uk

brayark

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chris
Hi I am considering a Galah/Rose Breasted Cockatoo as my next parrot and would love any help

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
Please consider a bird already out there. There are many many cockatoos in rescues and shelters through no fault of their own and just need a good home. There are no bad birds. Just bad owners. You could be that great home.

People want a baby bird because it's "supposed" to be easier. Well when it comes to cockatoos this just about backfires every time because these birds do not mature for a number of years. When that "itch" does kick in everything changes. Be careful what you wish for.

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
I can’t tell you about breeders but Galahs are wonderful birds! While not my personal bird, the bird I’ve bonded most with at the sanctuary I volunteer at is a Galah. She dislikes most people but is fiercely affectionate to those she chooses.
I would agree with JLCribber about adopting. These birds live incredibly long lives and there are so many adults who’s owners have passed or who have been given up for some reason. A baby bird will probably change in personality as it matures. Getting an adult allows you to know if you really click with the bird.

brayark

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chris
I would be just as happy to take on a older bird I have never had a hand reared bird and I have always need up with lovely birds just took time and tlc .
Are there any rescues shelters around as I know Lincolnshire wildlife park takes in birds to live in their aviary .

tka

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

brayark

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chris
Thanks I have looked on internet and there seem to be three places will need to look into this I would like to help a bird in need

keirieski17

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Keila
Glad you’ve looked at adopting! I will say I saw your other post and you said Galahs are less needy than other toos. That has not been my experience. My Lola calls to me as soon as she sees me. She’s in an aviary and will climb to the ground and walk to follow me. She wants to be the only thing I’m paying attention to and has bitten me more than once for having another bird near me or even talking to another person. She hated being in her cage prior to being an aviary bird, she wanted to be with me and got very angry if I had to put her back. She’s bratty and stubborn, absolutely refuses to not climb up to my shoulder. My worst bite from her was right under my eye and actually gave me a black eye.
Maybe she’s an exception, but from what I can tell she’s as much a too as any other species .
All that said, I adore my girl. She’s an absolute snuggle bug and very expressive. She makes a purring sound when she’s happy and the way she makes it so know who she likes is incredible to me. I’ve attached a picture because she deserves to be seen.

Attachments

brayark

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chris
She looks lovely I hoping to have a loving friend but an independent one who's ok playing on own when I'm working or doing no bird safe activates in the house, I don't want t to cause a bird to shelf Harm when his needs can't be meet .
I am married and my wife likes all animals but more a cat person and only works 2 days of week once she starts again so bird wouldn' t be on its own much and wife would love a bird she can share with me .
My Amazon wasn't every interested but would allow her to give the odd scratch and take food from her hand but would get upset if I was elsewhere in the house even with my wife for company .

Reactions: Ali