• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can anyone please help identify huge brown crane-like bird?

CrazyBirdChick

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Never in my life have I seen one of these in Chicago and my bird identification app isn't coming up with any matches.

20191014_113718.jpg 20191014_113734.jpg

It flew down from a tree onto the fence post right in front of me and three dogs. It looked up confusingly so I crossed the street so as not to scare him or her into crashing into a window or something. A few minutes later some guys walked past and it flew away. It was so cool!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The biggest thing I remember with cranes vs herons is that cranes fly with their neck out, where herons fly with their head pulled back so their neck makes an S shape.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane

At first I thought that was it for sure bevause the coloring was spot on but then as I compared between the bittern and green heron I read that the bittern is much smaller. This thing was huge! Like a macaw or bigger!

I showed my bird expert friend and she thinks it's a green heron.
It would make sense that it's a green heron but the color was much lighter so I'm still confused.

Juvenile Green Heron perhaps!

Otherwise I was also thinking Bittern of some sort!

ETA - Bitterns are apparently a LOT smaller than that guy is :lol:

Least bittern often confused with green heron - Houston Chronicle

Perhaps it was juvenile but it was still much lighter in color than that.

I was going to say some type of heron.
There are a quiet a few species of herons. Crain's are a separate order. And not as diverse as the heron. Egrets are often mistaken for herons.
Interesting, thank you! Never even heard of an egret! Will have to look those up later too

The biggest thing I remember with cranes vs herons is that cranes fly with their neck out, where herons fly with their head pulled back so their neck makes an S shape.
Oh, I wish I would have payed more attention to that as it flew away. It happened so fast I just saw it go up and it was gone. Good to know if there's a next time

It looks like a green heron to me, do you have a lake or waterfront area near you?
Yes, there is definitely lakes and rivers not too far from here!

Thank you all for trying to help me figure this out! It's not everyday a big beautiful bird like that plops onto a fence right in front of me!

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Banner Hoarder
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
The juveniles usually have more striping and it's hard to tell for sure how much this one has :) Could still be an adult!

Here is a juvenile Black Crowned Night Heron

And another juvenile Green Heron to show some of the different colors

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
The juveniles usually have more striping and it's hard to tell for sure how much this one has :) Could still be an adult!

Here is a juvenile Black Crowned Night Heron

And another juvenile Green Heron to show some of the different colors

They are both so beautiful! Sorry my picture wasn't better! I would describe it's striping and color as almost exactly the same as the bittern that @bubblelady [/USER] Posted earlier. I think I'll go with it most likely being a green heron with light coloration, unless I find something else that matches it better.

Thank you again everyone!!

Sorry - @Sodapop&Co. , I tagged you by mistake a minute ago.

Sodapop&Co.

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
They are both so beautiful! Sorry my picture wasn't better! I would describe it's striping and color as almost exactly the same as the bittern that @bubblelady [/USER] Posted earlier. I think I'll go with it most likely being a green heron with light coloration, unless I find something else that matches it better.

Thank you again everyone!!

Sorry - @Sodapop&Co. , I tagged you by mistake a minute ago.
No worries. I couldn't tell you what that bird is, except for "beautiful"!

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
At first I thought that was it for sure bevause the coloring was spot on but then as I compared between the bittern and green heron I read that the bittern is much smaller. This thing was huge! Like a macaw or bigger!

It would make sense that it's a green heron but the color was much lighter so I'm still confused.

Perhaps it was juvenile but it was still much lighter in color than that.

Interesting, thank you! Never even heard of an egret! Will have to look those up later too

Oh, I wish I would have payed more attention to that as it flew away. It happened so fast I just saw it go up and it was gone. Good to know if there's a next time

Yes, there is definitely lakes and rivers not too far from here!

Thank you all for trying to help me figure this out! It's not everyday a big beautiful bird like that plops onto a fence right in front of me!

That really is a treat to see for sure. I get Great Blue Herons in my back yard , because we have a large koi pond .

They are solitary birds , very territorial of their feeding spots.
Before the Great Blue Heron discovered my pond " his personal sushi bar ".
I used to get Snowy/ White Egret . Great Blue chased Egret away. Their beautiful to look at, wading in the water but... stinkers were eating my fish. I had to eventually suspend a pond-net over the pond for the safety of my pet koi.

Ribbit21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
Green Heron. They migrate this time of the year so he's probably just taking a rest before continuing on his journey. I live by a pond and have one that likes to sit on my chicken coop. They can appear to look pretty light colored on a sunny day.

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane

That really is a treat to see for sure. I get Great Blue Herons in my back yard , because we have a large koi pond .

They are solitary birds , very territorial of their feeding spots.
Before the Great Blue Heron discovered my pond " his personal sushi bar ".
I used to get Snowy/ White Egret . Great Blue chased Egret away. Their beautiful to look at, wading in the water but... stinkers were eating my fish. I had to eventually suspend a pond-net over the pond for the safety of my pet koi.
Wow, that must be such a nice place to sit and have coffee! Glad you were able to find a way to protect your koi though. Thanks for more information about them!

That would be my guess as well

Green Heron. They migrate this time of the year so he's probably just taking a rest before continuing on his journey. I live by a pond and have one that likes to sit on my chicken coop. They can appear to look pretty light colored on a sunny day.
Oh, that's so good to know! Thank you, fellow Illinoisan! The mystery is solved!

bubblelady

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
I get Great Blue Herons in my back yard , because we have a large koi pond .

There is an outdoor fresh water exhibit at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. The fish began disappearing. I was working an evening event and saw a beautiful heron fly in, land in the exhibit, and have dinner. They had to cover the exhibit with bubble wrap at night for a while until he gave up. But he had a good thing going for a while.

Just-passn-thru

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
There is an outdoor fresh water exhibit at the Monterey Bay Aquarium. The fish began disappearing. I was working an evening event and saw a beautiful heron fly in, land in the exhibit, and have dinner. They had to cover the exhibit with bubble wrap at night for a while until he gave up. But he had a good thing going for a while.

They certainly are very persistent. The Great Blue Heron at my pond was quite
brave.
He walked all around the patio deciding where to catch his daily meal. They show up at early day break . He was a thrill to have visit my pond and garden, a striking addition to my Japanese themed garden. But my koi are my pets too. I've had some of them for 20 years . They come to me for food and follow me around the pond when I'm doing pond maintenance. The net takes away from the natural aesthetics but at least my my fish are safe. :sad8: