• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can anyone identify this abandoned baby bird?

FruityFloc

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Last night my housekeeper found an abandoned baby bird on the roof, but I told her to leave it in case the mother comes back. its 10am today and the mother hasnt returned, so I want to at least give it some food for the mean time.

Does anyone know what bird this is, and what I should do about it?

Attachments

Blueberry

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Lulu
How’s the bird doing? Do have a wild life rehabbed in your area? I’d bet they know!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Do you see a nest nearby? Maybe it fell?

FruityFloc

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
It would help identifying to know which country.
i live in indonesia, animal shelters and rehab centers are only available for dogs and cats in here, we dont even have a proper avian vet, just an exotic vet at most. Usually lost birds are just recaptured and resold in the bird street market sadly, so i took it inside to prevent people mistreating it. (especially since my construction worker said he wanted to keep it to sell today)

Last edited:

FruityFloc

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
Do you see a nest nearby? Maybe it fell?
no, some construction workers found it on my roof and were about to take it home to sell it. So I insisted for them to let it be in hopes for the mother to came back but it never did.

FruityFloc

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
How’s the bird doing? Do have a wild life rehabbed in your area? I’d bet they know!
i live in indonesia, animal shelters and rehab centers are only available for dogs and cats in here, we dont even have a proper avian vet, just an exotic vet at most.

i gave the bird some unflavored baby porridge which I used to feed my birds with when they were babies, but i'm not sure if that's enough since i'm guessing this baby is an insectivore. I also gave it a bath since it got some porridge on its feathers.

the eyes seem healthy and awake, he can run and jump if he knows we're about to pick him up, but most of the day he just sits still in his temporary cage...

Here's a more recent photo.

(i'm keeping it until it can at least fly, or something im not sure. I just know I dont want the construction workers to get their hands on this bird to sell or mistreat it)

Attachments

Last edited:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
There are at least a few of species of night jar that live in Indonesia. Spotted, Savanna, and Large Tailed, for instance.

Moistened puppy food, hard boiled eggs, mealworms, crickets, etc. are usually fed to insectivore babies.

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
@FruityFloc
I can't confirm what type of nightjar but I do agree that it seems closer to a nightjar than a frogmouth from eye placement.

It is a very adorable chick. Thank you for helping the little one. Can you try contacting one of these animal recuses? I know that the Friends of the National Parks Foundation (FNPF) has done rehabilitation with with birds of prey and should be able to at least help to identify and to give you advice. I am also linking Jakarta Animal Aid, though I know less about them.

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
"Construction" deviants...Selling a bird found on your roof. How sad! :(

Least they found it & you have it now, Hope you can feed it or at least find someone who can.

FruityFloc

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
There are at least a few of species of night jar that live in Indonesia. Spotted, Savanna, and Large Tailed, for instance.

Moistened puppy food, hard boiled eggs, mealworms, crickets, etc. are usually fed to insectivore babies.
ah thank you SO much, i'll go boil some eggs and get the insects today then. what a relief!

FruityFloc

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
"Construction" deviants...Selling a bird found on your roof. How sad! :(

Least they found it & you have it now, Hope you can feed it or at least find someone who can.
yes i know, but thats the reality of people in Indonesia still :( at least i can try my best to feed it until its ready to go back outside

FruityFloc

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Ashley
@FruityFloc
I can't confirm what type of nightjar but I do agree that it seems closer to a nightjar than a frogmouth from eye placement.

It is a very adorable chick. Thank you for helping the little one. Can you try contacting one of these animal recuses? I know that the Friends of the National Parks Foundation (FNPF) has done rehabilitation with with birds of prey and should be able to at least help to identify and to give you advice. I am also linking Jakarta Animal Aid, though I know less about them.

Thank you so much for all this information! Very much appreciated !