• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can anyone help with sexing my cockatiel by photo

Anty

Sitting on the front steps
The baby is a pearl. So the dad must be a pearl to pass the pearl gene , or split to pearl. sex linked mutation : dad must have the gene to pass to offspring. All females will visually show mutation, all males will be split to the mutation unless mom also has the gene, then males will have the mutation as well.

both lutino and pearl are sex linked. That is why the breeder can determine it is a boy, all the baby girls must be lutino as mom is not lutino but dad is. Then by process of elimination, all males are not lutino.
That is so Cool an thank you so much for your time and knowledge I really
Appreciate it.!!

Last edited:

Anty

If the parent mutations are correct, baby is a boy :) all the girls must be lutino since dad is lutino. This app is great. I had to put dad as having pearl gene, else baby could not be pearl. Dad has to be lutino split to pearl whiteface or was pearl and lost pearls.
So neat! Thank you!!! You’re making my day

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Just when I think I'm close to getting it.......... LOL. So if the dad doesn't have any pearl chromosomes then boy? Or am I still not getting it.....

Still not quite getting it!!!! Yeah... it can be super confusing! LOL

You can ONLY get a visual pearl/cinnamon/Ino male offspring if *BOTH* parents are carrying that mutation. Since those mutations are sex-linked (male can carry 2 mutations, female *ONLY* 1), the mother would have to be visual pearl/cinnamon/Ino where-as dad could be visual *OR* split.

aka....

Pearl male x pearl female - would result in pearl male offspring

*or*

Normal male split pearl x pearl female - would result in both pearl and split pearl male offspring

Both would also result in pearl female offspring

However....

Normal male x pearl female - *NO* visual pearl offspring, but all males would be split pearl

Or...

Pearl male x normal female - All female offspring visual pearls, all males split pearl

Or...

Normal male split pearl x normal female - 1/2 pearl females, 1/2 normal females, 1/2 normal males, 1/2 split pearl males

right, super nice! And Interesting, so the two sibling were females; one white and one yellow. Does that mean Or saying anything?
Confirms you have a boy!

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Still not quite getting it!!!! Yeah... it can be super confusing! LOL

You can ONLY get a visual pearl/cinnamon/Ino male offspring if *BOTH* parents are carrying that mutation. Since those mutations are sex-linked (male can carry 2 mutations, female *ONLY* 1), the mother would have to be visual pearl/cinnamon/Ino where-as dad could be visual *OR* split.

aka....

Pearl male x pearl female - would result in pearl male offspring

*or*

Normal male split pearl x pearl female - would result in both pearl and split pearl male offspring

Both would also result in pearl female offspring

However....

Normal male x pearl female - *NO* visual pearl offspring, but all males would be split pearl

Or...

Pearl male x normal female - All female offspring visual pearls, all males split pearl

Or...

Normal male split pearl x normal female - 1/2 pearl females, 1/2 normal females, 1/2 normal males, 1/2 split pearl males

Confirms you have a boy!
Thank you! There was a time when I knew this pretty well but I feel like I have lost those brain cells now. Maybe life with a cockatoo has done this to me. Lol. Thanks. I think I was reversing everything.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Don’t worry Sunnysmom, I use the app when I am in doubt lol. It helped me realize when I made mistakes ! sex linked mutation was the most confusing for me as well

this website helps explain it as well

And then Monica helped me lots too ;D

Off topic mutations question:

Hey @Monica, a lady told me recently that a pearl lutino male will most likely not lose his pearls during molts, like a pied pearl male. Can you confirm or have any knowledge?

Anty

Don’t worry Sunnysmom, I use the app when I am in doubt lol. It helped me realize when I made mistakes ! sex linked mutation was the most confusing for me as well

this website helps explain it as well

And then Monica helped me lots too ;D

Off topic mutations question:

Hey @Monica, a lady told me recently that a pearl lutino male will most likely not lose his pearls during molts, like a pied pearl male. Can you confirm or have any knowledge?
Good question? I wonder if he will as well. I kind of hope he does not.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Thank you! There was a time when I knew this pretty well but I feel like I have lost those brain cells now. Maybe life with a cockatoo has done this to me. Lol. Thanks. I think I was reversing everything.

I feel like I've forgotten quite a bit about budgie n lovebird mutations myself! Not that I really ever got into keeping lovebirds and generally avoid budgies now-a-days....

I can't here... but I honestly don't see why a lutino pearl male would keep his pearls since he's still molting out his juvenile plumage. I can confirm that lutino and albino hens *DO* have the female markings! I just don't get to see male inos all that much!

Also, I haven't seen any information from the "queen" of cockatiel mutations and info - @srtiels about males keeping their pearls. If anything, she mentions that they molt them out!

So.... I wonder if this person who says that lutino pearl males keep their pearls might have a lutino pearl pied instead? Or what they assume is a lutino pearl male is in fact a female?

For reference....

More pictures... which I can't get to load... (thank you crappy internet....)

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Good question? I wonder if he will as well. I kind of hope he does not.
Sadly your pearl male will lose his pearls in time , as he is not pied :eek:, and most pearl males lose their pearls in 1-3 molts. But his face will get more yellow! :)

Anty

Sadly your pearl male will lose his pearls in time , as he is not pied :eek:, and most pearl males lose their pearls in 1-3 molts. But his face will get more yellow! :)
Well that’s okay too thanks

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
I feel like I've forgotten quite a bit about budgie n lovebird mutations myself! Not that I really ever got into keeping lovebirds and generally avoid budgies now-a-days....

I can't here... but I honestly don't see why a lutino pearl male would keep his pearls since he's still molting out his juvenile plumage. I can confirm that lutino and albino hens *DO* have the female markings! I just don't get to see male inos all that much!

Also, I haven't seen any information from the "queen" of cockatiel mutations and info - @srtiels about males keeping their pearls. If anything, she mentions that they molt them out!

So.... I wonder if this person who says that lutino pearl males keep their pearls might have a lutino pearl pied instead? Or what they assume is a lutino pearl male is in fact a female?

For reference....

Thanks again Monica ! I have learned so much from you :D

Tara81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
Well that’s okay too thanks
Yes I love the male yellow face tiels ! I wish my tiel had a yellow face haha but shes a girl . She does have some yellow spotting on her head and spike from her split though :D

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

For reference....

I have ordered her mutations book. It's on back order.

Anty

Yes I love the male yellow face tiels ! I wish my tiel had a yellow face haha but shes a girl . She does have some yellow spotting on her head and spike from her split though :D
Well if that’s her in your profile photo she’s a cutie pie!! what’s her name ?

TTMango

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina T
Hi, I’m awaiting a new baby cockatiel and like many new cockatiel owners I have a typical question; does anyone know how to sex them by the info I have and photo?
I don’t have experience when it comes to color mutations and I hear it gets tricky to be sure.
Breeder seems VERY knowledgeable but I just wanted confirmation I guess.
I don’t have him (the breeder says 100% male) yet but I have one photo at 2 wks old.
Parents are a Lutino male split white face
and the Female is a pearl cinnamon white face.
Idk what their parents are so hopefully that’s not necessary, Plz help if you can and have time lol thank you in advance.

TTMango

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina T
The pet shop where I got my cockatiel. Two bird experts guys that been in the bird business for 30+ years told me that my 14 wks old cockatiel is 95% Male.
I had my cockatiel for 3 wks already and I don’t see or hear no Male in it! It chirps but to me it sound like a girl.

Anty

Aw well she is cute if that Is her in the photo! I am still going to get him/her blood tested. Did you blood test you bird? If you don’t want to do through the vet they have cheap do it yourself kits online they sell too

Last edited:

TTMango

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina T
The pet shop where I got my cockatiel. Two bird experts guys that been in the bird business for 30+ years told me that my 14 wks old cockatiel is 95% Male.
I had my cockatiel for 3 wks already and I don’t see or hear no Male in it! It chirps but to me it sound like a girl.

TTMango

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Tina T
I just decided to purchased a Bird DNA for $13.00. I will try to pluck it’s feathers tonight. After that my 3 daughters and I will have a cake w/ its gender inside. Yes, I have 3 daughters & 3 female dogs!!!! I’m really hoping for a Male Bird. “Fingers Crossed”

Anty

I just decided to purchased a Bird DNA for $13.00. I will try to pluck it’s feathers tonight. After that my 3 daughters and I will have a cake w/ its gender inside. Yes, I have 3 daughters & 3 female dogs!!!! I’m really hoping for a Male Bird. “Fingers Crossed”
Hahaha good luck, definitely let me know! I think they let you know within a couple days after they receive it too.