• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video Can anyone help me??

MoonBuny

Meeting neighbors
So... Not too long ago I made a post about what was happening to my bird, one of the things i mentioned is that i live in a place where we don't have vets for birds here only for dogs and cats and I've called them and they told they can't take a look at my bird and i should go to another place but i can't because i don't have money so I'd like to know if the same happened to your ur bird or maybe you are a ver and can help me figure out what's going on. This has been happening since late 2021, at first it would rarely happen but since late 2022 started to get more frequently and started when someone moved to my house, at first i thought my bird was just choking on his food and me and my family changed everything from the cage he sleeps and eat to food brand.... But recently i saw him doing even without eat so... Idk what it is, my second guess is that maybe he is stressed with the person who's living here since things got at this point since they moved here. Sometimes he spend 3/4 days without doing it, he doesn't do at all when it's just me and some family members at home and some days he does 2 time a days and sometimes it least for a minute or even a few seconds and when he stops seems like he's very tire but a few seconds later he act like nothing happened (sorry about the mess and bad quality i had just woke up and i was about to clean his little home)

Last edited:

Spearmint

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Elk [He/They]
I'm not sure about that, but I do worry about the size of the gaps in those bars. It looks like he can stick his head out, which is dangerous. Do you know what the metal is made from? It looks like he might be trying to taste it almost?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How often is this done?
What is your birds diet?
Is your cage made from galvanised metal?
Any other behaviours that are different or just this one behaviour?

@Fuzzy @Clueless @Tyrion @Love My Zons Any idea what this bird is doing?

MoonBuny

Meeting neighbors
I'm not sure about that, but I do worry about the size of the gaps in those bars. It looks like he can stick his head out, which is dangerous. Do you know what the metal is made from? It looks like he might be trying to taste it almost?
Don't worry, the space between the bars are very safe for him and he can't put his head. Idk what the metal is made for and i don't think it's the metal because he also do the same thing when he's out of his cage and he's on the top and he also do on the floor of the gate too, not too long ago he also did on the floor of our living room but he always do that inside his gate and he always take his time to go to the floor to do that that's why i always thought he was choking on his food but i don't think it's the food anymore

MoonBuny

Meeting neighbors
How often is this done?
What is your birds diet?
Is your cage made from galvanised metal?
Any other behaviours that are different or just this one behaviour?

@Fuzzy @Clueless @Tyrion @Love My Zons Any idea what this bird is doing?
Most of the time he does once a day, a few days ago he spent 4 days without doing it. His diet are seeds like sunflower see, pumpkin seeds, some others seed Idk the name in english but my family always get a bag with mixed seeds, he also have some fruits too and idk if i can say it's part of the diet but he also has calcium "rock/stone" (sorry don't know the name) and a lot of water.
I'm gonna be honest idk the material of the metal but we have this gate since he started growing (he's about 14 years old so he has this gate for a long time but we are planning to get a new one this year)
This is the only behavior he does that we noticed as "weird" besides that everything is totally normal and looks fine and healthy

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Between the position of the wings and the honking sound I would say this is hormonal behavior of a Blue-fronted Amazon.
It is hormone season right now. My female bluefront is hormonal and will sit on the sofa and honk at me like that. I ignore her then.
Be sure never to pet your Amazon anyplace other than the head, petting elsewhere on the body can increase this behavior.
They should also get less seeds (high calorie foods can trigger breeding behavior too) and more vegetables like lettuce, kale, broccoli, peppers, sweet potatoes, cooked beans, peas, carrots etc.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Thank you @MommyBird
I did wonder if it may be a hormonal thing- it is definitely an interesting sound to say the least.

Definitely agree with adding more veggies to the diet.

MoonBuny

Meeting neighbors
Between the position of the wings and the honking sound I would say this is hormonal behavior of a Blue-fronted Amazon.
It is hormone season right now. My female bluefront is hormonal and will sit on the sofa and honk at me like that. I ignore her then.
Be sure never to pet your Amazon anyplace other than the head, petting elsewhere on the body can increase this behavior.
They should also get less seeds (high calorie foods can trigger breeding behavior too) and more vegetables like lettuce, kale, broccoli, peppers, sweet potatoes, cooked beans, peas, carrots etc.
Thank you so much for helping and thanks for the recommendation for the diet, I'll give him more vegetables :)

MoonBuny

Meeting neighbors
Yes agree, hormonal behaviour. Those are the behaviours and sounds my female Red-lored Amazon makes when she is "in the mood."
Thanks for helping, i never thought about the possibility of being something hormonal, i always thought it could be something on his diet, maybe the food brand, maybe he was choking on the food, stress or the room he used to stay in the house because it summer where i live and it can be very hot so maybe the heat was overheating him but i never thought about anything like hormonal. Again, thanks for helping

SumitaSinh

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Amazon also makes similar sounds when he's hormonal. Are you trying to change his diet? Amazons can be very stubborn. I have a daily fight with my inca as he won't touch pellets. So, I make a seed sprouts for him and keep chunks of colored vegetables in his foraging toys. Avian vets are not common in my place also.