• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

can an older pigeon be trained?

dovemom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Haley
I recently acquired an adult pigeon with two broken legs from a friend. I've rehabbed hopeless cases before, and while rehabbing this one he/she (I think she because of size) became very attached to me. she sleeps on me and goes everywhere with me. but because of permanant damage to her legs, as well as now being tamed, she can't be released. which is fine, I love my pigeons and have plenty of space/time for another one. but what I want to know, can she be trained to free fly? She's probably 2-3 years old, I usually begin training my birds around 3 months.
FYI: her legs have healed very well, she can walk and stick landings very well. When I first took in the bird I immediately contacted our local wildlife rehabber, who had advised me to euthanize. I did not just take in a wild pigeon without contacting for help.

winniezon

Jogging around the block
I recently acquired an adult pigeon with two broken legs from a friend. I've rehabbed hopeless cases before, and while rehabbing this one he/she (I think she because of size) became very attached to me. she sleeps on me and goes everywhere with me. but because of permanant damage to her legs, as well as now being tamed, she can't be released. which is fine, I love my pigeons and have plenty of space/time for another one. but what I want to know, can she be trained to free fly? She's probably 2-3 years old, I usually begin training my birds around 3 months.
FYI: her legs have healed very well, she can walk and stick landings very well. When I first took in the bird I immediately contacted our local wildlife rehabber, who had advised me to euthanize. I did not just take in a wild pigeon without contacting for help.
i don't really know about this at all but well done for helping that pigeon! its so sweet that she follows you! does she have a name? :starshower1:

kayosa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katy
It depends on how well she heals. I would hesitate to free fly a bird that can’t land properly. It could result it major damage to their breast or A re-injury of the legs. I have taken in injured feral pigeons before and after loft life for a few months only one of them didn’t come back and stay. That one I actually spotted more then a month after release back where she came from. So it depends on where they feel home is.
Do you know if she/he is feral or if she was a lost domestic?

dovemom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Haley
It depends on how well she heals. I would hesitate to free fly a bird that can’t land properly. It could result it major damage to their breast or A re-injury of the legs. I have taken in injured feral pigeons before and after loft life for a few months only one of them didn’t come back and stay. That one I actually spotted more then a month after release back where she came from. So it depends on where they feel home is.
Do you know if she/he is feral or if she was a lost domestic?
she has healed well enough already that she lands well and walks, but obviously giving her at least six months to continue recovery. the way she has acted since I got her makes me think she was once a domestic or possibly hand raised, but none of the pigeon lofts on the island are missing anyone.I do know a person that hand raises and then releases them, and think that possibly this could have been one she raised, but then again I'm not sure.

kayosa

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Katy
she has healed well enough already that she lands well and walks, but obviously giving her at least six months to continue recovery. the way she has acted since I got her makes me think she was once a domestic or possibly hand raised, but none of the pigeon lofts on the island are missing anyone.I do know a person that hand raises and then releases them, and think that possibly this could have been one she raised, but then again I'm not sure.
Probably domestic. There’s a lot of lifts that just won’t take back birds that have been injured. I personally have ankle bands with my phone number written on them on all my birds.
if you enjoy her company andwould cryif she goes missing Do Not free fly her. Pigeons go missing all the time

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have no advice, but will follow this thread. Love pigeons!

dovemom

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Haley
well, it's always when I start looking toward the future. Ridgeway passed away yesterday due to her crop basically exploding. the nearest vet is 2 hours away and mostly deals with reptiles, but I'm great friends with our local bird rehabber, who lives ten minutes away. he tried his best to repair her, he spent two hours in surgery with her, but the damage was just too bad and we decided to euthanize her.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm very sorry to hear about Ridgeway. At least she died loved with people trying their best.

winniezon

Jogging around the block
well, it's always when I start looking toward the future. Ridgeway passed away yesterday due to her crop basically exploding. the nearest vet is 2 hours away and mostly deals with reptiles, but I'm great friends with our local bird rehabber, who lives ten minutes away. he tried his best to repair her, he spent two hours in surgery with her, but the damage was just too bad and we decided to euthanize her.
oh no i am so sorry @kiwithebug :sadhug2: you gave her love and i am sure she died knowing that you loved her.