• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can a Swing be too 'swingy'?

clarousel

Rollerblading along the road
Hello!

So I'm trying to add more wood perches around my room. I have this one spare perch and am waiting for a few more that I've bought.

So in the meantime I was initially gonna try tie it down on my window grill but it's not very stable so I thought a swing could be good:

20200731_163159.jpg
I put Preeno on it and it was so shakey. It looked really funny like he had the shakes! Second time on it he was balancing better (tail was still rather than moving about for balance). I feel silly for asking this but is this safe for him or is it too unstable? I was even thinking of making it slant so there's more going on for his nails.

Edit: in case anyone is worried about the gap in my window, Preeno doesn't really go very close so his foot won't get stuck. It's a very stiff window too so the wind won't blow it open/shut!

Ali

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Alistair
I think you'll be fine. To be honest, I've never really thought about it :roflmao:

@Ripshod

clarousel

I think you'll be fine. To be honest, I've never really thought about it :roflmao:

@Ripshod
Neither have I! Preeno has another swing which he's learnt to use. It's just went I saw the perch shaking so much I was like "woah! Is he okay on it?!" :roflmao:

Reactions: Ali

Ripshod

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Linden
Budgies love swings, and they can never be too 'swingy' (oh-er)!!
It won't take long for Preeno to master any swing, in the wild they perch on the Swaying branches on wind rocked trees. If they can perch there they can perch anywhere.

clarousel

Budgies love swings, and they can never be too 'swingy' (oh-er)!!
It won't take long for Preeno to master any swing, in the wild they perch on the Swaying branches on wind rocked trees. If they can perch there they can perch anywhere.
Yeah I was thinking if he was out in the wild on some branch in the wind, this should be nothing compared to that :roflmao:

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
You may find that threading beads up the rope part (completely) can stabilise the swing. It stops it from being super, super wiggly.

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Also, that twine you used is usually pretty "swingy", leather ropes work a little better if you have some.
Screenshot_20200731_135023.jpg here I used twine and it was quite wiggly

Screenshot_20200731_135005.jpg here it has leather

clarousel

Thanks for the suggestion! :) I don't have enough beads nor leather rope at the moment. Waiting to order some online!

Did you make that boing? I like the 'bubbly' look of it!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Waiting to order some online!
Ahh, When they turn up you will be able to create something a little more stable :) Preeno will be ok playing on this in the meantime :)

Did you make that boing? I like the 'bubbly' look of it!
I bought it from Kazoo bird and company in the RLS. Saw it and knew my Jaime would love it, so I bought 2 :)

Irishj9

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
JP
@Zara
Please remember it wasn't me who Introduced swings and leather ropes to this discussion.

Not that I mind.

Carry on!

scrape

Celebirdy of the Month
Not for most budgies. I've heard from several people their budgies like small hoops, the difficult ones! My cockatiel on the other hand... not so much. Hasn't stepped foot onto any swings or boings, not without getting the heck outta there!

Mybluebird

Real Name
Anne
How big is the gap in your window? You could use old T-shirts or pld clothes to fill it.

Lol - I also like the boing that @Zara has. When I checked with Kazoo Birds, she didn't have it anymore. Maybe that's changed?

clarousel

How big is the gap in your window? You could use old T-shirts or pld clothes to fill it.

Lol - I also like the boing that @Zara has. When I checked with Kazoo Birds, she didn't have it anymore. Maybe that's changed?
Oh I can shut it fully but then my room gets really stuffy. Haven't had the chance to put up my mosquito nets yet!

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge