• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can a respiratory infection spread through toys?

Whizzer

Moving in
Hi, there. First post. I am planning to adopt a green cheek conure once I find a good breeder in Georgia. The problem is, I have a little budgie who had a respiratory infection a few weeks back. He has since recovered (stopped antibiotics last week) and is back to normal, but I am still concerned about spreading it to a potential new bird. Granted, I would quarantine for six weeks and keep them in separate cages for the obvious reasons, but is there any chance that the bacterial infection could still harm a new bird after treatment? Through exposure to the budgie's cage or toys maybe? Not sure how these things work so felt like I should ask. Don't want to have another poor birdie suffer a respiratory infection.
Many thanks.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
It depends on the reason for the respiratory infection. Some things live well away from a host, but many don't. You can disinfect with F10SC (a vet grade disinfectant that is safe for birds, reptiles, and small animals, all of which are sensitive to cleansers) to make sure :)