• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can a Pionus have aspirin?

Hobart

Moving in
My MaxiPi got her foot shut in a door. She screamed, I screamed, my husband who accidentally shut the door with her on top of it cried. We were quite the household for a few minutes. The closet door has a large gap at the top so that really helped to avoid severe injury. It peeled a bit of skin off beside her toenail but there is no bleeding and she is able to use the toe/foot when she wants to.... in other words nothing seems to be broken or internally damaged. But I am sure that it is hurting and she is sitting with the foot up in her feathers and not wanting any interaction. (Not that a Pionus wants a lot of interaction anyway-- LOL). Can I dissolve a bit of aspirin in her water to try to help her toe feel better?

Toy

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I gave my macaw aspirin years ago for a leg injury. The avian vet told me how much to mix in water. I know it wasn't a lot, but I don't remember the dose. I'd contact an avian vet & ask them.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
I don't think aspirin is safe for birds. There are other safe pain meds out there and I agree, check with a avian vet. Hopefully folks with real experience will jump in with safe alternatives if you can't get to the vet.

Sparkles!

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
As a human provider I just have :2cents: to add:

it’s been very well documented that due to the connective tissues surrounding feet and ankles (and depending on placement, hands/wrists too) manual manipulation should never be the deciding diagnostic of whether or not a fracture has occurred. Imaging is always indicated in cases such as these. A missed fracture can be at best unsightly in the future and at worst? deadly.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
My vet informed me that aspirin is not safe for birds as there have been no studies done and a safe dosage (if there is one) has not been determined. Try to get metacam for your bird. It is widely used with birds and safe dosages have bee determined.