• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can a Pionus and Green Cheek Conure get along??

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
Hello all! I have a question about the likelihood of my green cheek conure getting along with a blue headed pionus? I am planning on bringing home a baby Pionus in several months and really hope he won't be aggressive to my little guys, especially my GCC. I know they are a more gentle and reserved bird towards human companions, does the same apply to other birds, particularly small birds? Thank you! :)

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Hi Emily, there are some people that allow different species of birds to interact without any issues. However, the size of a beak with a Pionus is capable of doing great harm to a smaller bird. So, if and when you do bring home a pionus I wouldn't allow any form of contact with your green cheek even under supervision. It's always best to be safe than sorry and avoid a serious injury like a crushed beak, broken toes or worse. Green cheeks can be fearless about approaching larger birds or even other household pets.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
:bump7:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Thank you :) I will be careful and never allow them to get to close enough for possible contact. My GCC is pretty fearless!!
When you do welcome a pionus to your flock make sure to assess the doors on all cages to make sure nobody can be a houdini and get out. I've had houdini's ( Green cheeks) that could open doors in a flash. They have nothing better to do than watch your every move and will test those doors the minute you leave. Sneaky little buzzards!

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
It really depends on how your GCC is. This is your only bird at the moment?
If your GCC is calm and not aggressive, and don't demand interaction of your Pi, it can work.
They will never be friends to share cage, but to share out of cage time (of course superwized) can work if you introduce them when your Pi is a baby.
Best is to get a female that is more calm and not that hormonal as males are.

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
If your GCC is calm and not aggressive, and don't demand interaction of your Pi, it can work.
They will never be friends to share cage, but to share out of cage time (of course superwized) can work if you introduce them when your Pi is a baby.
I also have a Lovebird but he is quite feisty and I already know he will probably be a little jerk bird (lol) to anyone in the flock, so not very hopeful of him getting along with my Pionus! Amigo, my GCC is a bit more polite :joyful: Thank you for the advise!

Gimby

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Katie Denski
some birds mesh, some dont. There really isnt an answer to this question. Try it, but be tuned in to body language and be ready if you cant read body language to split them up. Id introduce slowly. I wouldnt just shove them together day 1. and dont give either bird one reason to get jealous over the other.

hedylarue

Meeting neighbors
I would tread lightly...you can never predict how birds will get along and they can also change once they reach adulthood. My pionus almost killed one of my parrotlets after not caring about them for 2 years. We never left them unsupervised either but they are so fast and a pionus can really do damage with that beak. Also, a lot of pionuses are cage territorial and green cheeks tend to like to explore so just be very, very careful. Not to say that it can't happen, but it has to be the birds that choose. I would assume they won't get along and make sure you are ready to keep them totally separate. If it happens...awesome...but that's something you just can't force.

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
They get along until they don;t & then its trouble for the GCC...who will probably always be in the pi's face as they are just inquisitive's with a Napoleon Complex...So ever vigilant you must be as it only takes one second & one mistake to inflict alot of damage...

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
I would tread lightly...you can never predict how birds will get along and they can also change once they reach adulthood. My pionus almost killed one of my parrotlets after not caring about them for 2 years. We never left them unsupervised either but they are so fast and a pionus can really do damage with that beak. Also, a lot of pionuses are cage territorial and green cheeks tend to like to explore so just be very, very careful. Not to say that it can't happen, but it has to be the birds that choose. I would assume they won't get along and make sure you are ready to keep them totally separate. If it happens...awesome...but that's something you just can't force.
Thank you so much for the reply :heart: Thank goodness your parrotlet was okay! This is something that worries me to the point of just wanting to keep my flock smaller birds. I am vigilant about safety because my Lovebird and GCC don't exactly love each other! So we are very careful (we being me and the birds!) It took a lot of time to get them to the point they can be out at the same time, but now they can be with constant supervision. My GCC does like to fly over to my Lovie's cage and I hafto immediately run over and get him off Kiwee's cage!
I have spent a considerable amount of time researching a larger parrot to add to our flock (African Grey, Indian Ringneck, Blue Crowned Conure) and of all of them I feel the safest with the Pionus. I think they are beautiful and also their tendency to be calmer and sweet appeals to me. I know every bird has it's own personality, but this is what I find a lot in reading about them.
Would you recommend a female over a male?

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
They get along until they don;t & then its trouble for the GCC...who will probably always be in the pi's face as they are just inquisitive's with a Napoleon Complex...So ever vigilant you must be as it only takes one second & one mistake to inflict alot of damage...
That does worry me! right now that is my Lovie, always so interested in what my GCC is up to! and Amigo doesn't appreciate it! Kiwee is sort of like the annoying little brother! But I can tell even though they are not best friends (by any stretch) I really do think they enjoy each others company. Especially when I am at work.

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
I would consider my GCC calm and not aggressive. When him and my lovie are out together the only time I feel he would try to bite my Lovebird is if Kiwee goes for him. Otherwise Amigo, my GCC, is much more interested in what I am doing. He is very clingy to me. My hope is since the Pionus tends to be not a "velcro bird" and my GCC kind of is, that when out together Amigo is more interested in me then my Pi. I am also planning on getting a baby. As much as I'd love to help a current adult bird in need I know the odds of everyone tolerating each other is higher if they are introduced as a baby Pi.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Pionus are shoulder birds, just so you know. They are not cuddle, but they love to be near and having regular head scritches. :)
And also to eat together, shower together, watching video together e.t.c

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
Pionus are shoulder birds, just so you know. They are not cuddle, but they love to be near and having regular head scritches. :)
And also to eat together, shower together, watching video together e.t.c
Yes that is perfect!! And he/she will get tons of head scritches and I'll leave the cuddles for my GCC :):heart:

DurgaRose

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Emily
I am REALLY excited to bring home a little baby PI next spring!! Wish I could get him/her sooner but it will take me about a year to save up. Plan to get a really nice BIG cage too and lots of toys!! Then our flock will be complete :bhp: