• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can a pied budgie have red eyes?

AA2403

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abdullah
I know this may sound stupid, but doesn’t the pied mutation remove pigmentation? So doesn’t that mean that it could possibly remove eye colour pigmentation? I’m only asking this after watching this clip New video by Abdullah AlSabbah

If anyone knows what’s going on with the bird mutation wise, let me know! Thanks

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Recessive pied means the budgie doesn't have a visible iris as an adult. Their eyes look like baby eyes. Their ceres remain baby boy pink as adults. My Marzipan is one.

Dominant pied budgie eyes get a light coloured iris ring, like wild coloured budgie adults. Their ceres may be royal blue, pink, purple or mottled. They can have 1 or 2 copies of this gene. 2 copies removes more colour.

The video is very fuzzy, but I'd guess that the budgie in the video is a dominant pied hen. She has colouring on her rump (common with dominant pied) & a light coloured cere. No colouring on her vent (common with recessive pied).

Sparkles99

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I should clarify that female ceres aren't pink in recessive pied - was thinking of mine, LOL, & he's a male.

Edited to add: In both recessive & dominant pied budgie hens, the cere isn't affected. I only have male budgies & it's showing. :)

AA2403

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abdullah
What about the eye colour? Because in the video, the eye colour is red. For all I know that shouldn’t be possible, and only ino budgies should have red eyes.

Fergus Mom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
What about the eye colour? Because in the video, the eye colour is red. For all I know that shouldn’t be possible, and only ino budgies should have red eyes.
I have no clue about the mutations, but I am wondering if in videos, budgies eyes could look like that - like when you see dogs in photos, and their eyes are red in the pics, but of course dogs don't have red eyes. Maybe?

AussieBird

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Call me AB
Ino budgies are not the only ones with red eyes, fallows have them too. @PoukieBear

AA2403

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abdullah
I have no clue about the mutations, but I am wondering if in videos, budgies eyes could look like that - like when you see dogs in photos, and their eyes are red in the pics, but of course dogs don't have red eyes. Maybe?
I got this clip from a youtube video, where the guy said it had red eyes. I showed that clip and not him speaking because he was talking in arabic, I don’t think you would understand it. He also called it a banded budgie if that helps

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
Pied mutations do not effect melanin production in the eye, so they will have black eyes. Inos, fallow, and lacewing budgies have red eyes.

This article lists out the eye colors:

And this one shows a comparison of fallow and lacewing:

The bird in the video is difficult to see clearly, but if its eyes are ruby colored and it has diluted markings that are stronger on the rump, then that sounds like a fallow budgie.

AA2403

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abdullah
Here is the original video if you want to have a look. You can see the bird in the 8th minute. I looked back and it doesn’t seem like a fallow or lacewing

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
The video is terrible quality so it's really hard to tell. On my screen it looks like the bird might be Cinnamon, and in direct sunlight Cinnamons can appear to have dark red eyes. This is very apparent when they are chicks as well, and it's very obvious that I have two cinnamon chicks in my current clutch, and the eyes aren't even open yet.

The bird in my profile pic is one of my fallows, and there's no doubting or questioning the bright red eyes of a fallow (or lacewing or Ino). In all honesty, it's probably just the bright direct lighting in this video that is throwing the colour off.

AA2403

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Abdullah
The video is terrible quality so it's really hard to tell. On my screen it looks like the bird might be Cinnamon, and in direct sunlight Cinnamons can appear to have dark red eyes. This is very apparent when they are chicks as well, and it's very obvious that I have two cinnamon chicks in my current clutch, and the eyes aren't even open yet.

The bird in my profile pic is one of my fallows, and there's no doubting or questioning the bright red eyes of a fallow (or lacewing or Ino). In all honesty, it's probably just the bright direct lighting in this video that is throwing the colour off.
Might be the case, and as you know a lot of people fake mutations and photoshop or edit stuff. I’m just confused because this guy is a reputable breeder in Turkey, and he said he only bought the bird because it had red eyes. Also, it is not a baby for sure, he bought it as a breeder budgie.

PoukieBear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Michelle
Might be the case, and as you know a lot of people fake mutations and photoshop or edit stuff. I’m just confused because this guy is a reputable breeder in Turkey, and he said he only bought the bird because it had red eyes. Also, it is not a baby for sure, he bought it as a breeder budgie.
In that case I'd be really interested to see better pictures in natural light.

PunLover

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Jessie
Dunno about you but I'll leave this pic of my old budgie Bonejingles for you to judge. When she had her first moult, she lost the eyepatch, and always had red eyes. While I originally thought something was rubbed off on there, well, it never went away until the moult, so I have high suspicions that this was in fact a pied albino.

So sorry the pic is so so tiny. It's the only one I have of her, my brother took it and cropped it for me to use as a profile pic.

Attachments

Shahbaz

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Shahbaz Pathan
I know this may sound stupid, but doesn’t the pied mutation remove pigmentation? So doesn’t that mean that it could possibly remove eye colour pigmentation? I’m only asking this after watching this clip New video by Abdullah AlSabbah

If anyone knows what’s going on with the bird mutation wise, let me know! Thanks
Even I have a recessive pied budgie with white blood line having red eyes. I bought this bird because I found it unique because as per my knowledge only inos and fellows have red eye. My budgies is a adult male and breeding right now. Is this going to be a new mutation?

Kori

Walking the driveway
This is an interesting question because I’ve noticed that in some light I can see red in Azuki’s eyes…

Shahbaz

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
Shahbaz Pathan
In that case I'd be really interested to see better pictures in natural light.
Even I have a recessive pied budgie with white blood line having red eyes. I bought this bird because I found it unique because as per my knowledge only inos and fellows have red eye. My budgies is a adult male and breeding right now. Is this going to be a new mutation?

3605A3D6-7A9F-4578-A347-82FF534DF2F1.png EDD7F0A6-8FA7-48F1-9F7E-70B102068A56.jpeg 3605A3D6-7A9F-4578-A347-82FF534DF2F1.png

Attachments

Destiny

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Destiny
That budgie looks like a fallow. Very pretty.