• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

911 Can a parakeets lower beak break off?

BlueFmly

Moving in
Real Name
Walter I.V
Hi, Happy New Year! I have a Baby Blue parakeet that I think has his lower beak broken. I live in a house with 2 roommates, I went out for 2 days over new years. And when I returned my cage was in the living room. I found all 3 of my baby budgies were frightened and didn't let me touch them. Slowly I worked up to feeding 2 of them again. As I started staring at my 3rd one yesterday to try to regain his trust I saw his lower beak was missing.

Can this happen? I was not at home and don't know what happened.
Maybe he was holding on to the bars as someone pulled him out?

It has been 14 days since new years. It is hard to see because of how the beak falls over the top.
I don't know if breaking the lower beak is possible? I can't imagine how it happened.

Like I said they are scared and will be hard to take to the vet.

His lower beak might be growing back? If it's possible this happens to birds I'm going to the vet. I just do not know if I am freaking out. Please help.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Other birds can bite off the beak of another bird. They can also lose it in an accident, like with the cage or something. It would be extremely painful, and hard for your bird to eat, without a lower beak. It sounds difficult but I would try to get him to the vet to be checked over to ensure he is not going to slowly starve to death.

I would also ask your roommates if they noticed anything odd or of note.

BlueFmly

Moving in
Real Name
Walter I.V
Other birds can bite off the beak of another bird. They can also lose it in an accident, like with the cage or something. It would be extremely painful, and hard for your bird to eat, without a lower beak. It sounds difficult but I would try to get him to the vet to be checked over to ensure he is not going to slowly starve to death.

I would also ask your roommates if they noticed anything odd or of note.
Thank you, I will make an appointment tomorrow. I am feeding him bread so it's easier to chew and I will take him ASAP.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I hope everything is okay and that it's not as bad as you expect!

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
Lil budgie needs to see avian vet. That has be very painful. There are feeding formulas out there that would better nutrition then bread

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So glad to hear that everything is fine!