• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can a Macaw be happy as an Only Bird?

Missyszlee

Sitting on the front steps
Real Name
Missy
Hey all, question..

Do any of you have a macaw as an ONLY bird in the household? Do you think they’re genuinely happy and fulfilled? Or do you think they need other macaws or other birds around to be happy?

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
It is not always garanteed that birds get along, I've seen alot of poeple with one happy macaw.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I have a single macaw in the house.
I do have a budgie inside too, however, my macaw and budgie do not interact or show any interest whatsoever in each other.
I interpret my birds behaviour as happy and fulfilled but as I’m not him I can only say what I think he feels. He has no known health or behaviour issues and I see no difference between his regular behaviours and confidence or the behaviours of the past healthy bonded pairs of budgies, 28’s and tiels I’ve had.
I honestly think it depends on the individual bird as well as the relationship between bird and human provider, past experiences with being a in a flock or bonded pair would likely impact on how happy the bird would be also.

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have had single macaws several periods during the last 23 years. Never saw anything that made me feel that they weren't happy. Macaws are very social birds, so if single in the household they must have more and more consistent attention from their owner. It doesn't have to be hands on attention - just attention.