• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can A Flighted Macaw Live In A Regular House?

Status
Not open for further replies.

crystalsfids

Meeting neighbors
You have received some great advice from some of my favorite people....But to answer your question..yes. I have 2 Blue and Gold Macaws, both are fully flighted. Honestly they do not fly much in the house. They usually can get where ever they need to..but I usually keep them on hanging playstands and they spend a lot of time above even my head..I am over 6 ft.
Good luck on your decision.

Billie Faye

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
No...I don't take my birds out side without protection of a cage...learned my lesson LONG ago by having two fly off (got them back safely) and live in an area with hawks....won't do any good if your bird is taken off your shoulder by a hawk....:hug8:

brandy2103

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Brandy
so even is fully flighted they don't just fly around? Can you still let them just hang out with you or do you have to attach them to a perch? I want mine to be able to play on playgym, etc.

brandy2103

Real Name
Brandy
Billie, did they fly away with a harness or flight suit on? I understand about the hawk thing, I had one get a cockatiel off a perch right beside me. He must have bit the hawks foot, cause he dropped him. I had to wade out in a swamp and he was miraculously fine. He was killed by a dog I used to have a couple months later. The dog knocked the cage over and got the door open. It was just awful, little thing survived a freakin' hawk and was killed by a Cocker Spaniel. I am careful about that, I keep Lunar under an umbrella outside or right inside my garage. It CAN happen!!! Careful about dogs too!

brandy2103

Real Name
Brandy
You know I am afraid to leave mine outside in a cage, I had someone tell me a snake got into the cage and killed the bird. What are safe temperatures for a bird when they go outside if they are kept in a 73 degree house? My husband constantly tells me it's too hot for the birds outside they are gonna overheat. I do see them kinda pant, does that mean it's too hot? Of course my dogs pant too, and they are ok with water and shade. I know they are originally from tropical areas though.

Last edited:

sewing4eight

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Julie
Our Mac is fully flighted- every now and then he'll take off from one end of the house to the next (sounds like a helicopter- it is awesome).... but then he goes right back to his cagetop. We have a multi-species household, so our birds have their own "individual" out of cage time. We also bring all of the cages outdoors several times a week for the birds to get some good sun.

Non of our birds go out without a cage or a harness.

Attachments

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Mine have always been in a house without AC and the temps go up BUT I have fans going and spray them down with misting a couple of times a day...
In the winter my house was kept in the 65-68º range...:hug8:

Billie Faye

Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Billie Faye
Billie, did they fly away with a harness or flight suit on? I understand about the hawk thing, I had one get a cockatiel off a perch right beside me. He must have bit the hawks foot, cause he dropped him. I had to wade out in a swamp and he was miraculously fine. He was killed by a dog I used to have a couple months later. The dog knocked the cage over and got the door open. It was just awful, little thing survived a freakin' hawk and was killed by a Cocker Spaniel. I am careful about that, I keep Lunar under an umbrella outside or right inside my garage. It CAN happen!!! Careful about dogs too!
No harness...they were free...not good!LOL
if you are wanting them outside and playing on a stand...buy a screen house and stay with him in it....it has a cover over it and they won't fly into the screen if they can't see him...:hug8::heart: But DON'T leave him alone in it..they will chew their way out through the screen!:rofl::hug8:

crystalsfids

Meeting neighbors
Our Mac is fully flighted- every now and then he'll take off from one end of the house to the next (sounds like a helicopter- it is awesome).... but then he goes right back to his cagetop. We have a multi-species household, so our birds have their own "individual" out of cage time. We also bring all of the cages outdoors several times a week for the birds to get some good sun.

Non of our birds go out without a cage or a harness.

Ya Buddy is a Flier though..LOL. He spooks and flys. I love Buddy :)

sewing4eight

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Julie
You know I am afraid to leave mine outside in a cage, I had someone tell me a snake got into the cage and killed the bird. What are safe temperatures for a bird when they go outside if they are kept in a 73 degree house? My husband constantly tells me it's too hot for the birds outside they are gonna overheat. I do see them kinda pant, does that mean it's too hot? Of course my dogs pant too, and they are ok with water and shade. I know they are originally from tropical areas though.

We take all of our birds out several times a week- cage and all. We mist them down, and we don't have them out on days that are really hot. We are home when we have our birds out (we don't just put their cage out and leave for the day) and they are always in someones direct view or supervision.
We also make sure the cage is always in only parital sun or shade... so they can get out of the direct sunlight if they want to. Alwasy make sure they have plenty of fresh water available too. We don't open cage doors when they are outside (in fact all of our cages have a snap latch on their doors to prevent accidental openings)

Just what we do.

Status
Not open for further replies.