• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Can a 1-legged canary breed?

sith'ari

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Fee
A friend of mine wants to breed canaries. She is an experienced owner but has never bred before (except accidentally). She recently purchased a few pairs for breeding including a wonderful singing male with perfect body shape and feathers. However, he has only one foot. Since my experience is with budgies and other parrot species, my immediate question was, "How can he breed with one leg?" Obviously parrot males require a good grip to mount and make good contact. She assured me that since canaries breed on the wing, he'd probably be fine. But I feel like even mating on the wing, they'd probably still need their feet for anchoring. Is this not the case? It's surprisingly hard to find information about this unusual case.

Thanks!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Definitely a good question for your friend to ask their vet.

sith'ari

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Fee
This is not a question about bird care or bird illness, this is a question about breeding logistics. My own avian vet, who I asked about this in passing, said she really didn't know.

This is merely a curiosity. I actually ended up adopting the little guy since my friend decided not to set him up for breeding if he might not be able to. So now I have a tiny little canary in my flock. He's freaking delightful!

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Any pictures?!