• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Camping, mosquito and bird

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Just my two cents worth…

we have gone camping with our cockatiels, love birds, parrotlets, and in a month with bailey for the first time for the last 40 years. Have had no issues with skeeters though they are aplenty. At the heaviest we keep the bird in the tent trailer, and outside with us at other times. always in the cage except when we are inside the trailer. I do rub some OFF on my clothes but take them off as soon as I get inside and the bird can crawl around on me. So far it has worked for us but obviously common sense and care must be excessive d at all times. We have found the birds to really like talking with the finches and so on. Never saw any sign of stress.

Birdie Mama

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
edit: that was to be ‘care has to be exercised at all times’. Keep bird out of the direct sun, make sure the cages is properly locked, we use extra snaps majiggy to make sure birds cannot open the doors.

this is not a recommendation on you taking the bird camping, but just my personal experience on the matter.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I have to admit that while I’m not allergic to mosquitoes I just don’t like most bug sprays. When I’m working outside, I just wear long pants and sleeves. I also wear a hat with mosquito netting over it. Works like a charm—although admittedly not very sexy, lol!