• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Camping, mosquito and bird

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Hi,
It's summer!!! My family and I have been planning on going camping and I would need to bring my green cheek conure with me (I do not have a place for him to stay). I am primarily worried about mosquito spray...

Our whole family has allergic reaction to mosquito bites so if we are not in our tent or car we will have to spray ourselves with it.

If we do it far away from our conure and not have direct contact with him after using it, would it be a problem (ex: we leave our conure in the car when we spray it and wait for the spray to go away and then hike with him in his bird backpack). I will make sure to thirdly wash myself before touching him.

Hope this was clear enough, I am a first time owner so everything is new to me ❤.

Sparkles99

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The spray doesn't go away, that's why it works. I would absolutely not be okay taking a bird on a camping trip. Is there no one from school you could pay to take the bird in for the duration of the trip? This sounds like a recipe for disaster. I'm sorry. Some species shouldn't go camping & pesticides linger, even mosquito spray.

Reactions: tka

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Sad. I guess I'm not going camping .

ZY28

Strolling the yard
The spray doesn't go away, that's why it works. I would absolutely not be okay taking a bird on a camping trip. Is there no one from school you could pay to take the bird in for the duration of the trip? This sounds like a recipe for disaster. I'm sorry. Some species shouldn't go camping & pesticides linger, even mosquito spray.
The mosquito spray I was going to use is the off deep woods that I spray on myself not the one that dispenses non stop. Is that still a problem if I keep him far from it? (DEET is not toxic to bird from my research)

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I do not think I can really assist here with advice regarding repellants, I do not use them or even own them as there are none safe for birds as far as I am aware. I keep meaning to look into oil of geranium as I know some of the geranium plants (not all) are actually awesome mozzie repellants- I have been told they are really good but do not smell strong or horrid. I have heard some of the newer repellents (like the wrist bands and stickers for kids) are not as potent as the older repellants but I have not used them so I am unsure.
I am also allergic to mozzies and I end up with huge welts and swelling that often ends up pus filled or infected if I scratch them at all and if I do get enough bites I will get really bad hives and have to take antihistamine to stop or settle the swelling heating reaction. I have been hospitalised for a reaction to mozzies before.
I personally just make the yard as inhospitable for mozzies as I can, I encourage lizards, frogs, spiders and all other living beings like dragonflies or microbats to reside in our yard to keep the mozzie numbers down and if I have to go anywhere that mozzies are likely to be a problem then I wear loose fitting long sleeve shirts and pants.

I honestly would be more concerned about taking the bird on an outdoors camping holiday (especially as a minor which it sounds like is a possibility) and the complications and potential risks that camping involves to its safety than I would be about keeping mozzies off me while at the camping trip tbh.

FeatheredM

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I do not think I can really assist here with advice regarding repellants, I do not use them or even own them as there are none safe for birds as far as I am aware. I keep meaning to look into oil of geranium as I know some of the geranium plants (not all) are actually awesome mozzie repellants- I have been told they are really good but do not smell strong or horrid. I have heard some of the newer repellents (like the wrist bands and stickers for kids) are not as potent as the older repellants but I have not used them so I am unsure.
I am also allergic to mozzies and I end up with huge welts and swelling that often ends up pus filled or infected if I scratch them at all and if I do get enough bites I will get really bad hives and have to take antihistamine to stop or settle the swelling heating reaction. I have been hospitalised for a reaction to mozzies before.
I personally just make the yard as inhospitable for mozzies as I can, I encourage lizards, frogs, spiders and all other living beings like dragonflies or microbats to reside in our yard to keep the mozzie numbers down and if I have to go anywhere that mozzies are likely to be a problem then I wear loose fitting long sleeve shirts and pants.

I honestly would be more concerned about taking the bird on an outdoors camping holiday (especially as a minor which it sounds like is a possibility) and the complications and potential risks that camping involves to its safety than I would be about keeping mozzies off me while at the camping trip tbh.
I just had to say, I love the way you say mosquitoes, and that is the last time I say it that way! I'm going to have fun saying mozzies:laugh:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I just had to say, I love the way you say mosquitoes, and that is the last time I say it that way! I'm going to have fun saying mozzies:laugh:
Is that not what you call them?

Wardy

Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The mosquito spray I was going to use is the off deep woods that I spray on myself not the one that dispenses non stop. Is that still a problem if I keep him far from it? (DEET is not toxic to bird from my research)
Deet is potentially toxic to animals birds included.
Deet has been regulated for a while here now for a while 100% Deet is no longer available here and products with less deet are less effective in my experience.

Kassiani

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Peppermint oil has been used by some friends of mine as a mosquito repellent. If it is organic, it might be safe around your bird. You don’t spray it on, either. You rub it on with your hands. Perhaps call your vet and ask if peppermint would be a bird safe alternative.

FeatheredM

Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monique
I forgot something :facepalm:my mom made this mosquitoe repellent, it's all natural, but I'll have to ask what's inside.

WikiWaz

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Signe
I think camping would be stressful on a bird. Besides the mosquito repellent, smoke from campfires would be bad for them.

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Sounds like we are not going camping :(...
I wonder how those people online do it with their birds...

Birbman9

Walking the driveway
Real Name
David Oeschger
Ive taken my lovebird camping twice and to a chalet once. Ive had no problems with mozzies even though the place we go to is right on the beach and is warm. i dont know where you live but where i do in south africa its fine for my lovie.

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Peppermint oil has been used by some friends of mine as a mosquito repellent. If it is organic, it might be safe around your bird. You don’t spray it on, either. You rub it on with your hands. Perhaps call your vet and ask if peppermint would be a bird safe alternative.
I believe peppermint oil is toxic to most animals. I wouldn’t use it around my birds tbh

ZY28

Strolling the yard
Ive taken my lovebird camping twice and to a chalet once. Ive had no problems with mozzies even though the place we go to is right on the beach and is warm. i dont know where you live but where i do in south africa its fine for my lovie.
In Canada baby, mosquitoes and tics see you as a rare pray and be eating you up. That being said I do attract mosquitoes ALOT! :rofl:

ZY28

Strolling the yard
I believe peppermint oil is toxic to most animals. I wouldn’t use it around my birds tbh
Do you know any effective natural repellent that I could apply (not spraying) that is safe for birds???

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Do you know any effective natural repellent that I could apply (not spraying) that is safe for birds???
I’m sorry I don’t believe I do. You can wear loose fitting long sleeves and full length pants as the mozzies can’t get you through them.