• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Calling all nuts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Just wondering what kind of nuts you feed to your parrots?Are there any that are a no no?ok that title to this thread is just wrong:lol:

luvsgreys

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Stephanie
:hehe: Emmett's favorite is almond in the shell. He'll eat some of the nut, however, seems to enjoy obliterating the shell a bit more. lol I did buy him a bag of mixed nuts in the shell...walnuts, hazelnuts brazil nuts, & almonds. I'll semi crack the others and he'll mess with them but almonds are his first pick. I love watching the big macaws bust open the shells on brazil and walnuts like it's no big deal. :D

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Michael likes walnuts, almonds and pine nuts. He will eat some others in the mix but prefers those.

Matt

Skyler

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
I believe that peanuts in the shell have carried a dangerous fungus, so most parronts have stopped offering them.

My fids are "the small ones"(budgies, tiels, and sun) and are bonkers for shelled pine nuts. My sun will leave me and dive into her cage for them, and with my budgie pair, the hen pecked male will attempt to steal them from his "wife".

Zelle

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Zelle
Walnuts, pecans, pistachios, pine nuts and almonds are my birds favorites. My GreenWing just discovered she loves Macadamia nuts in the shell. Too bad everyone is out of them right now. :(

Cynthia & Percy

cockatoo mania
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
cynthia
for the most part all my birds get almonds except for Little General who does not like them he gets walnuts

hotfoot jackson

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Sue
Dusty gets almonds in the shell and out, pine nuts, macadamias (we grow them) pistacios, and the very occasional cashew. Being a cockie I have to be sparing or she gets fluffy (our polite word for fat!)

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
I have never given Squeeky peanuts. But he does like almonds and walnuts.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Almonds, walnuts, pistachios, macedamians, hazelnuts, pine nuts..hmm..am I missing any...

Oh and no peanuts. Peanuts are not safe. They only get peanuts in their harrison pellets. Oh..they do get some peanutbutter from time to time, but no in or out of the shell peanuts.

But here are two links that talks about it. Its really up to you if you will feed something that MAY give your birds aspergerillus

Are Peanuts Bad For Pet Birds

http://www.parrotparrot.com/articles/aa080701.htm

Last edited:

Gen120

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Victoria :)
My fids like walnuts, almonds, and pine nuts

marian

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Hate to admit this I've never given hiram pine nuts.So this week pine nuts he shall have:)

MandaExotics

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Amanda
My bird usually gets a macadamia or some pine nuts a day. You put those beside a walnut or pecans and they'll never be eaten. He loves pine nuts.

love4birds

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
My guys favorites are walnuts and pecans, those are the staple nuts in our house. Most of them will eat almonds and pinenuts as well. Occasionally I'll buy some cashews for them as a treat, they love those, too.

I bought a pound of brazil nuts last week and no one will touch them! Chewy cracked one open, but just threw the meat and crunched up the shell:huh: None of my guys will touch macadamia nuts either.

BirdieMama

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Nancy
Question...I am sitting here looking a a walnut tree that is loaded with nuts. Are the walnuts safe? Are there different kinds of walnuts? If they are safe, do I do anything special to them so that I can feed them to the fids?

Kermit

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Jacque
walnuts an pine nuts here. Soto will whistle up a storm for a few pine nuts. Littlefoot will divebomb me for a piece of walnut

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.